UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheel Bearing On It's Way Out?

Old 12-03-2002, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Bearing On It's Way Out?

I'm just about to hit 10,000 miles and the car has developed a "thrumming" noise whilst trundling along about at c. 30mph (the sort of speed before the wind noise from the hood kicks-in) on smooth roads.

The sound remains if I dip the clutch... gonna have to keep an ear on this.

Has anyone out there had similar noises develop?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:20 PM

Hmmm, a "trumming" noise, not sure what that would sound like!?!?

I have droning sound from 30mph up to about 70mph which is most noticeable at 60mph, sounds like someone blowing over a half empty bottle (best way to describe it!). I have taken it to two dealers now, the first replaced the diff ( ) but no different ( ), the second said it did not sound bad and was probably road noise.

I now think the car is bouncing a lot and think I might have a shock gone, this could also account for the noise if a dry shock is transmitting road noise through the chassis(?). Anyway, dealer 2 has it booked in for this Thursday to check all the shocks. I hope it is a shock and that is solves both problems.

- Frisky.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:04 PM

The best way to check for a worn wheel bearing is:-

Jack up the suspect wheel till it's clear of the ground. Grasp the tyre firmly at the top and bottom and by pushing and pulling, try to rock the wheel backwards and forwards on a vertical axis. Any undue play in the wheel bearing will be felt and accompanied usually by an audible clunking.

It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing though, typically you get a knocking noise more noticeable when cornering.

Have you checked your tyres for wear/damage? A lot of road noise comes from the tyres. I see you're at 10K miles.. you could be getting low on tread, most people get about 12.5K... tops out of the rears. I recently changed my front SO2s at 16K miles and road noise was noticeably reduced.