UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

wheel bearing

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel bearing

after a topless drive home it seems i may well have a failing wheel bearing. a scraping/air-y noise with the roof up, and a squeak with the roof down; sounds very much like it's coming from that side rear.

ebay claims to have some for £50, OE quality (which seems about right to me), so i just need to find a garage that'll press 'em out for me.

however, i do question the following:
my S has always had issues with the nsr corner; banging over uneven surfaces, twitching over wet man hole covers and never quite feeling stable on high speed bends or in the snow. geo alignment fixes this for a month or 2. seems i have a seized bush thats pulling the alignment out. something i plan on getting sorted, however it's hardly an essential item on my list.

anyway, question is, if the geo is out, would this cause excessive wear on the wheelbearing. i dont think it's a huge ammount; maybe 0.25deg too much toe out (or settings to that effect). I'm sure it's not helping, but i dont think it's the sole cause to the bearing failure.

a £400-500 bill isnt something i want to afford right now, but with a wheel bearing it's probably best to get that done (<£100)
depending on my job, the plan is to get the geo done ASAP when i have something for the shortterm future; hopefully over the next few months.

thoughts?