UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wheel Alignment

Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Alignment

given I am a 'newb' and had a couple of twitches in the car, im a little aprehensive at the moment.

Im not sure if my wheels need aligned or if its just my imagination that the car is more unstable than it should be. What are the signs I would need it done?

Also my car had an MOT 3 weeks ago, as a condition of the sale,would it have been done then?

As ever thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 AM

Mine has been done but at this time of year any drain covers white lines ect the car jump around alot its normal for the conditions. First check your tire pressures are ok. Its worth getting the geo done anyway.oh and on it won't be done with the mot
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 AM

No it would not neccessarily have been done. Odds are it hasn't.

It's cold and slippy out there, you will notice is more on a Rear Wheel Drive car.

There are plenty of alignment places that can get you back with Honda tolerances.

You may wish to give some thought on stumping up a chunk of money and get your bushes greased. A wealth of info on this on the forum

Seized bushes can cost you a 4 figure sum to put right.
Even cars as new as 2006 have been known to have a seized bush.
You might wish to do some preventative maintenance.

Have you driver RWD cars before?

And yes... right now mine twitches something hairy... Given the number of cars that I see binning it round my way... I'm not alone.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 AM

First up, welcome. Secondly, check your tyres pressures - if you're running S02's all round you should be at 32PSi for each wheel, and this makes a big difference.

Once thats all sorted, next up is the geo - do not confuse this with "tracking" at your local $h!t Fit! Try www.alignmycar.co.uk for your nearest 4 wheel alignment centre who can restore Honda factory settings (or adjust to others if you like!).

Once all that is done, your car should drive straight and true, but being a light(ish) RWD sports car with 240bhp and no traction/stability controls, it will always be "lively" in this weather. Be smooth and progressive with all inputs - throttle, steering and brakes - and you shouldn't go far wrong!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pasquale Bruno' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:19 AM
given I am a 'newb' and had a couple of twitches in the car, im a little aprehensive at the moment.

Im not sure if my wheels need aligned or if its just my imagination that the car is more unstable than it should be. What are the signs I would need it done?

Also my car had an MOT 3 weeks ago, as a condition of the sale,would it have been done then?

As ever thoughts are appreciated.
Don
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 AM

What does it cost to get the geo done? (roughly)
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 AM

Let your rear tires go below 2mm as mine are makes things very interesting i really should get them changed.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by argep' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:16 PM
What does it cost to get the geo done? (roughly)
Depending on if you have any seized bolts (i had 5 ) i think which had to be cut out and replaced. A good 4 wheel alignment is around 100 sheets give or take. Mine was alot more due to replacing the bolts/bushes. Do a search on here lots of info.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 AM

Cheers lads for all the info, much appreciated. the tyre pressures i done last Sunday all at 32psi so thats no probelm and the tyres are all new bridgestones.

I think it is me learning the car, rather than the aligment as its nothign that is slapping me in the face but as its my first rwd its hard to tell.

I checked the alignmycar website and there is only one centre in Edinburgh, I think i will put it off at the moment and drive the car for a few more weeks to see what i think.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by motogp1' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:18 PM
Let your rear tires go below 2mm as mine are makes things very interesting i really should get them changed.
The last time I saw this in a thread, there was another a week later that began "I binned my S"

Just saying...

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment