UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What's this? Advice needed please

Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this? Advice needed please

Hi guys, hope you are all well.

Had the S for 5 years now and still enjoying it. I recently had my 108k service done, and at the same time my clutch master cylinder went so that had to be replaced (day before service was due, delivered it to them on flat bed). it passed the MOT fine, but some things needed doing soon:

Rear brake pads
Rear drop links
New Coolant
Auxiliary Belt

I decided I should be able to do these myself, last weekend I did the rear pads and that went well, although took me a while, but learnt a bit.

Today I changed the rear drop links, again went well, again took longer than expected, removing the old ones proved to be tricky, had to grind off the one bolt.

Anyway, whilst changing the rear left side, I noticed this:

Which appears to be broken, but I cant work out what it is, do you know please? It's sheared right off, and the arm seems to pivot on something that has some wires going to it. I've no idea how long it's been like this, would have thought Honda would have picked up on it though.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Might have just answered my own question, just found this:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/745...spension-part/

I should probably replace it do you think?

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It does look like you've answered your own question Dave. AFIK it assists brake bias AND the headlight auto levelling, which that thread didn't make too clear.

I actually have one up for sale if you're interested as in breaking a car.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another pic and more info here.
From this thread, might be worth fixing. Looks like an MOT fail - if they spot it!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Cheers guys, much appreciated, guess I had better add it to my list of jobs. I had a feeling the list might grow when I started!

Thank you Floppy, how much do you want for it, I think I only need the arm bit, but let me know.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by dodgydave_uk
I decided I should be able to do these myself, last weekend I did the rear pads and that went well, although took me a while, but learnt a bit.

Thanks for the link and 'how to' for the rear pads. They are the next job for me, and being a bit of a novice, this is very helpful
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You don't need to push on the piston btw - it's threaded and will turn in by itself. Easier with the caliper still attached to the car and just make sure whatever lever you use is secure in the X before you attempt to wind the piston back
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Lol, I too am in the novice category, but learning every day! Thanks fester, I'll update my post with that, will document the drop links tonight or tmrw and pop that on my blog.

Got my old Auxiliary Belt off just now, a lot easier as have no airbox, just the k&n which didn't need to be removed, but I ordered the wrong part form GSF (6PK1137), seems I got the cheaper, shorter one for cars with no aicon? Just bought what I hope is the correct part (6PK1472) so will pop that in when it arrives, very simple job though with 14mm socket, popped the old one back in for the moment.

Anyway, got the old Headlight range adjustment sensor off, another job that was harder than it should have been!

It does still work in that when i moved it (as its not connected to anything) you could see the lights moving up and down, so it's just the ball joints and rod that need replacing (bottom of photo). The lower ball joint was solid, and explains why it sheared off, looks like it might have been like that for a while.

I'd rather not fork out for a whole replacement unit as it is just the 2 ball joints and the rod between them than I need to replace. The upper ball joint does move freely, but has part of the old rod in it that's never coming out.

Any ideas on what I could replace this with, ideally original parts, but something that will do a similar job might work just as well?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

If you could get the broken bit of rod bored out could you use a length of threaded rod to couple the two ball joints?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by martin j
If you could get the broken bit of rod bored out could you use a length of threaded rod to couple the two ball joints?
Thanks for the reply Martin, the problem is that the lower ball joint (left in photo) is fully seized, i've tried everything to move it but I think its had its day, the rubber is all broken on the top one too so maybe that's also heading towards the end of its life.

I've contacted thk, maybe i can blag for them to send me a couple of 'samples' and then make the rod as you suggested.

Quick Reply: What's this? Advice needed please