UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What would you do if you were me?

Old 03-25-2004, 04:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by argep
Keep the S. Several of us have been this. You will just get through it and be glad that you kept the car S""
Old 03-25-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kelk
Keep the S, but it may mean ditching the family.
I knew someone would say this but unfortunately this is not an option

I was hoping to get something in a similar price range to the S2000. I can't get rid of the Corsa (its the wifes). I would prefer a softop but not absolutely necessary. I really can't make my mind up about the RX8, one minute I think it looks great the next I hate it but its the one car I keep coming back to

Why oh why oh why didn't Nissan give the 350Z back seats?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by Dogmatic

Why oh why oh why didn't Nissan give the 350Z back seats?
Simple, it's only a baby right, will be small for a couple of years right? Well, pop rivet a large bucket to the boot floor in the back of the Zed, pop baby into bucket and there you have it - a baby seat for the price of a plastic bucket and the missus can still have her Corsa (is she mentally unstable - a Corsa AND a slushbox?!?!?!).
Old 03-25-2004, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MarkB. Just what I was thinking.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:52 AM

I have an 8 yrs old and a 4 yr old.

Painful as it may be, for all the right reasons they take priority.

We have a people wagon in addition to the S, but kids do grow up. Depending on your usage you can get away with it.

Lose the Corsa and buy a bigger automatic (Zafira / Picasso / Galaxy). They are great for the kids as they can see out and these cars are made for it. There are loads of them about and if money is tight...get an old Volvo estate

As baby gets older, it will love the S...Mine both do !

Justification for wife discussion needs to revolve around amount of money you would lose on the S
Old 03-25-2004, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be dogmatic about it and keep the S!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
Old 03-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet another S2000 owner with 2 kids - jeez it took yonks for me to persuade my wife that what we needed was a 150mph 2 seat roadster!!!

However all is not lost........we have 2 cars, the S and a Stream and we get by just fine, sometimes it takes a little juggling but in 3 years it has never presented a real problem. The complicating factor for you is the manual / auto thing...........cant you get here to learn to drive a manual 'box????

On the plus side - once your son/daughter is sensibly old enough to ride in the S they will love it - I will never forget the looks on my 2 son's faces the 1st time they travelled in the S and we hit 9000rpm!!!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you desperately need the money I would say keep the S whatever you do - I sold a beloved motorcycle when my daughter was born and have regretted the sale ever since
Old 03-25-2004, 08:51 AM

The problem seems quite simple:

you want to take the baby to X,Y,Z locations while still allowing your wife to be mobile in another vehicle at the same time, but you can't simply swap cars as she can't drive a manual car.

The solution I would go for is :
a) for your wife to take her test to allow her to drive a manual car. If the incentive of driving an S2000 won't get her motivated then nothing will.

If the automatic thing is due to disability and driving a manual is out of the question, then the options are :

b) wife isn't mobile while you're out with the baby in the Corsa, does she need to be?
c) wife takes the baby to where ever in the Corsa
d) you all go as a family and take the baby to where ever in the Corsa

don't see any reason to get rid of the S to be honest
You have to have something nice to escape the screaming, puke and stench of nappies in for a bit of don't you?

Quick Reply: What would you do if you were me?