UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is so great about the NSX?

Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

EVO Car of the Year 2002:

Final results:
NSX-R - 93.5
Porsche 911 C4S - 92.9
Ferrari 575M 'Fiorano' - 88.6
Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG - 86.9
Lotus Elise 111S - 85.1
Mini Cooper S - 84.9
Mitsubish Lancer EVO VII FQ-300 - 82.7
Nissan 350Z - 81.8
Renault Sport Clio Cup - 81.3
Jaguar XKR-R - 79.7
Subaru Impreza STi PPP - 78.4
Ford Focus RS - 76.0

Old 08-31-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Sep 1 2005, 12:48 AM
One final thing. You seem to be about the only other person who doesn't see the S2k as a difficult car to drive.
Compared to a 348 the S2000 is Honda Civic-like to drive. Honestly
Old 08-31-2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by GSi,Aug 31 2005, 11:54 PM
EDIT: **** me it's ugly from the front.
That's the ridiculous special edition where the bolted on the air duct and new bumpers and whacked the price up by
Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 PM

I have only ever sat in a stationary NSX and that was at JAE and I did think the interior was a little dated but has that retro kitsch that I think is kinda cool. Personal opinion admittedly.

I still think it lookslike a rocket ship

As for the car itself I can only state what I have read / heard.

1) The suspension was tuned by Senna. I think he had more fast car driving experience than *any* of us on here and was probably better than all of us put together so I'll bow to an F1 legend rather than go by what I've driven. Then again my original H reg 1.0 LS micra was a dream

2) The guys behind the McLaren F1 examined a lot cars before design / build work started on the F1 but the NSX got a lot of attention. Apparently they put together a great car in the eyes of the McLaren boys but due to its balance and handling it didn't have "charcater" eg like how ferraris fall apart or 911s used to pendulum and lose the backend.

Don't shoot the messenger

Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Aug 31 2005, 11:48 PM
1. Pete, I think you're dismissing the NSX being able to beat an "early" 348 comment a bit too quickly. That's quite an achievement for any car. And at a significantly cheaper price even now.

I understand what you mean by exclusivity, but you're on an S2000 board and that's something that a lot of people here don't really care about. I want an F430 or a 360CS, but it's not the exclusivity that I want. It's the driving experience that I want. I could have had a Boxster S which would have been a bit quicker but it wouldn't have been quite as fun. I need to get out of the car after a spirited drive feeling like Richard Hammond ie "a Driving god". The Boxster was just too well sorted without enough power to give that feeling. But is more exclusive even if it's more common.

3. One final thing. You seem to be about the only other person who doesn't see the S2k as a difficult car to drive. Admittedly mines an 05, but the car is communicative and involving, not on a 355 scale (my benchmark as I've driven one) but certainly best bang for buck by quite a long way IMNQSHO.
1. Not my intention. I accept that the first NSX was quicker, better handling car than the contemporary 348 (and 911). Whether that made it more exclusive is far more debatable. What isn't really debatable is that its performance was far easier to access than than those two rivals - Honda had modernised the supercar genre, which is something the Japanese had been doing to all sorts of products for 30 years.

So I fully recognise the achievement. My comments about 'early' 348s are based on the fact that the 348 was subject to a range of significant revisions during its lifespan - suspension mods, power boosts, engine management changes to name a few. Driving a pre 1993 348 is rather different from the later models, but no 348 is an 'easy' car to drive.

2. I understand the way this board works. It could be described as having an absence of brand 'snobbery' or maybe a heavy presence of inverted snobbery.......
Either way, I think many of the high minded comments on the subject are just hot air. My logic? Look what many people go on to buy post S. Not many NSXs I think you'll find. But plenty of brand names - Fezza, Jags, Porsches.
If it's the 'driving experience' you want, then you might prefer a 348 over an NSX. However you also say that you want a car that will make you feel like a 'Driving God', in which case you won't like a 348 - it will make you feel like a klutz unless you master it (I haven't yet).

The test might be to drive an Impreza - if you love it you'll prefer an NSX and hate a 348. I also think there's something about age in this part of the discussion. If you've grown up with power steering, abs and a range of other aids, it's likely you (anyone) will really dislike driving much older performance cars. I don't think anything will change that. I see you've driven a 355 - that's another 'modern' - much easier to drive than a 348. Power steering for a start.

3. I bet I'm not. But let's see - who here believes the S2000 is difficult to drive?
It is as easy to drive as a Civic. Being able to go fast doesn't make it difficult to drive. It's a pussycat with claws which will just catch out clumsy drivers. that doesn't make it difficult to drive (you could say the same of any big engined rwd car from the last 40 years). The S2000 has a delightfully easy gearchange, light clutch, free revving engine and power steering. Just look at how many female partners drive them - another test of ease of driving.......
Old 08-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Sep 1 2005, 06:46 AM
Compared to a 348 the S2000 is Honda Civic-like to drive. Honestly
The S2000 is as easy to drive as a Civic, period.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 PM

....but I am a driving God
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 PM

On the lack of development in 15 years comments earlier. That could be seen as a good thing, it means the NSX hasn't put on a massive amount of weight with useless tat gadgets and therefore hasn't needed a huge power boost to stay the same speed.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Sep 1 2005, 07:53 AM
On the lack of development in 15 years comments earlier. That could be seen as a good thing, it means the NSX hasn't put on a massive amount of weight with useless tat gadgets and therefore hasn't needed a huge power boost to stay the same speed.
It was also ahead of its time in offering ease of driving in a supercar - which seems to be what the majority of buyers now demand

So if that point is accepted (or just that its a fine car with performance that is still right up there even today) you are left wondering why it hasn't sold.

Price? The brand? Or what?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 AM

Price for the brand IMO.

Most people who spend

Quick Reply: What is so great about the NSX?