UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is so great about the NSX?

Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I very rarely see any Ferraris, maybe one per month.

But, I see an NSX nearly every day
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenM,Aug 31 2005, 08:08 PM

I see (go past ) *loads* of Ferraris every day and I rarely see an NSX.
If you really believe that an NSX has the the same 'exclusivity' as a Ferrari, then you must be off your rocker.

Low numbers do not necessarily exclusivity make.

seen any Trabants on your travels? Or what about bubble cars - they're rare.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see at least one NSX every day !!

Watch the BMI DVD's to see what is so good about it, or alternatively come over to mine and I will show you.

TBH If I could jusify the running costs, possible reliability issues etc etc then I would have a Ferrari sat in the garage.

However I can run an NSX without an worries.

I also prefer the interior of the NSX to that of a 348, and it is quicker than a 355, both in a straight line and round a track.

I could drive all the way around the M25 and I reckon I would see at least a dozen Ferrari's. If I saw 1 NSX I would be doing well. Exclusivity or just not as common, take your pick it means the same thing. Exclusivity is not all about how much it costs, and yes I would say a Trabant is exclusive, but also is the Reliant Robin at work.

I mean the Ferrari 360 is / was on the company car list at work, the NSX never has been !!

Someone who adamantly wants a Ferrari will buy one and not look at the NSX. However someone who wants 'a little bit more' would be unwise to rule the NSX out of the equasion.

BTW I don't like the stalks on the steering column of the NSX.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM

The trabant thing not being common is negative exclusivity (there is such a thing) not exclusivity. In the same vain you don't see many allegro's anymore. Probably because they have all rusted or nearly rusted but thats another story.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by simonprelude,Aug 31 2005, 09:52 PM
I also prefer the interior of the NSX to that of a 348, and it is quicker than a 355, both in a straight line and round a track.
But it is this point which I don't get. You compare the NSX to the 348 and the 355 but while Ferrari moved on Honda kept going with the NSX. Even after the face lift the interior never looked nice and the outside remained the same.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that the NSX must have been a great car when it was launched but it didn't keep up with the competition as the years went by. If they were still selling a new NSX today I know I would not be buying it but something else.

It is strange that the flagship of Honda was so outdated and not improved upon over the years. Also producing or rather quoting 280 from 3.2l isn't that much nowadays and my point on the original post was that even a BoxS manages that and for
Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 PM

Mmm, the NSX came out in 1991, 15 full years ago. It was probably developed in the late 80's. "Ordinary" people were driving Sierras and Montegos. When it came out, it pissed all over the Ferrari 348 and gave the 911 a serious run for its money - not in terms of character, but in terms of the way it handled. I remember the magazines of the period raving about it, but as usual they finished with the "lacks character" cop out.
One of the reasons that the Ferrari F355 was created, was because Honda put the fear of God into Ferrari and woke them up from the slumber they were in they produced crap like the 348 and BB512.
A colleague at work had a Mk1 Elise and on driving an NSX reckoned it was like a grown up version of same - he loved it.
I have always loved them and I would love to own a 3.2 coupe.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by douglasr,Aug 31 2005, 10:17 PM
One of the reasons that the Ferrari F355 was created, was because Honda put the fear of God into Ferrari and woke them up from the slumber they were in they produced crap like the 348...
Someone will be disappointed to hear you say that and be along shortly.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by douglasr,Aug 31 2005, 09:17 PM
One of the reasons that the Ferrari F355 was created, was because Honda put the fear of God into Ferrari and woke them up from the slumber they were in they produced crap like the 348 and BB512.
512BB crap?

sorry don't understand.....why is a 512BB crap?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM

OK, I may just be qualified to express an objective opinion, having owned two S2000's over a 4 year period, covering a combined 100,000 miles, as well as being a new owner of an early NSX.

Design - Considering the car was conceived in the mid 90's I think it still looks stunning.

I bet there's not many of you have seen one in the flesh? Very different. The interior is dated, but ergonomicly sound. My wife always complained of the seats in the S but no such criticism on our recent 450mile trip to the Black Forest. Now consider the spec, electric windows, climate control, full leather, airbag(s) Bose stereo, electric seats, oh and cruise control, certainly as good as the s just older design

Technology - Vtec in a V6 3.0 mounted transverse midships for good balance. Don't forget it's not just about the figures, it's the package - Quoted power is 270bhp at 7300 and 209 lbs at 5400 in an aluminium package that weighs in at about 1300kg. What this translates to is a very quick and accurate ride, with masses of feedback (mine is an early one without power steering) tremendous grip and very usable power. I consider I can travel along known roads far quicker in the NSX, than the s, and with greater safety margin. On the limit the s always felt frantic, the NSX simply devours these same roads. Add traction control for bit of on limit safety, ABS, and in my case a aluminium roof for added stability the package is complete

Don't get me wrong the s is a fantastic car and I very nearly brought my third, but the NSX is in a different league in terms of owner / driver return, a sort of smiles per pound equation I realise the design is not to everyones taste, its a 20 year old design, and a good modern sports hatch will give it a good run, but these criticisms mean nothing when I step in, start the V6 and warm her up on my fave road My own car although 14 years old, has covered less miles than the S I've just sold, cost
Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nick, You bringing it to the Herts meet tomorrow night?

Quick Reply: What is so great about the NSX?