UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What is this noise?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this noise?

Ive got a very quiet brushing sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel. You can only hear it when in low revs as the engine drowns it out otherwise.

I can only describe it as sounding like a very distant train. The noise gets faster as I go faster.

it doesnt sound like a bearing noise but my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Any ideas guys?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 AM

Sticking caliper?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 AM

yup could be gunk or rust on the brake disk or a small stone stuck as well

safely do a severe brake and see if it makes any difference afterwards
Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 AM

yup, sticking caliper sounds like a good suspect, although there are a number of other candidates.

FWIW, Here's how I would go about diagnosis:

1. Make sure that all of your tyres are at the correct pressure (32psi IIRC)

2. Find a flat (not cambered) and straight stretch of road or car park.

3. Drive at a steady 30ish mph and then let go of the steering wheel and brake, gently at first but increasing in pressure. If the car veers to one side, a caliper on the opposite side is not working properly. (eg, pulls to left, a right hand caliper is dodgy).

4. Next, drive along at a steady 30 on the same flat straight bit and let go of the wheel... If the car veers to one side, then there is increased drag on that side, due to either a sticking caliper or a dodgy wheel bearing.

5. Take the car for a drive. Nothing too fast or too slow, about 3 or 4 miles should do it. When you get back, carefully feel the hub of each wheel with the BACK of your hand. DO NOT TOUCH THE DISKS! they may very well be hot enough to burn your hands! If one wheel is hotter than the others, then this is your culprit...

6. Having decided from the steps above which is your suspect wheel, chock the opposite corner wheel fore and aft, jack up the car and whip the wheel off (remember to crack your wheel nuts before you lift the car!).

7. Examine the disk for excessive rust, ridges or lines. If there is much rust, this indicates that the brake is not doing it's job. If there is excessive scoring or ridges, this is a sign that the brake disk is worn, possibly due to a stone getting betweent the pad and disk, or possibly because of crap pads or excessively worn pads. Ridges or debris would cause the noise you describe...

8. Check that the brake pads have a good amount of meat left and that they have no foreign object debris lodged in the face of the pad (you will need to remove the pad for this check, see guide in FAQ IIRC).

9. Try to turn the wheel bearing nut by hand. It shouldn't move. If it does, you can either remove the hub, check the bearing, re-pack it with grease and re-tighten the nut (search the forum for a guide on how to) or nip it up to "two white knuckles" tight and then drive the car slowly to the garage and have them look at it.

10. If all else fails, take it back to Honda and ask them to have a look...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:19 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

First thing I'd check id for something stuck in the tyre tread. Stone/nail/horse, etc.

On a Dunlop I once had, it turned out to be the steel reinforcement wires! The bloody thing was disintegrating
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 AM

Thanks Guys

All very helpful. Would i get a sticking caliper when i use the car every day for about 40-50 miles a day?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:57 AM

The stock calipers are capable of sticking at any time. It's because of the design of the caliper which is floating or sliding (choose which word you like the best).

The caliper is quite easy to take apart and clean. If you see uneven wear on the brake pads that's a sure sign of sticking caliper. But feeling the wheel in the hub area after a run of 10 - 20 miles in a very good indicator.

Usual precautions. Don't breath brake dust, don't work under the car without it being properly supported. If you don't know how use a pro or get a mate or member who knows what they are doing to help you.