UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What Mazda can learn from Honda

Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Mazda can learn from Honda

After a couple of days with my new RX8, here are a few things I have found that Mazda could usefully learn from Honda:

- sports cars should have proper bucket seats (the seats in the 8 could do with more lateral support on seat squab and backrest)
- how to build the best 6 speed gearbox in the world (the gearbox in the 8 is OK, and should ease up a bit with more miles, but the Honda is a class above IMO)
- if you have space for the stereo controls on the steering wheel, then the steering wheel is too big for a sports car!! (the wheel is a bit too large IMO, the S2K is a perfect size) I think this is a bit of parts bin re-use on the 8, a pity...

Those three issues aside, I have to say I am so far very impressed with the 8. Not sure on MPG yet as I haven't used up a full tank (won't be long :-O). Of course, the 8 is aimed at a different market to the S, but I would say it has 90+ % of the handling ability of the S, a more enjoyable engine (sorry to say it but IMO it's true, and I loved the engine in the S!), and two or three times the comfort for long trips.

I do miss the soft top though in weather like we are having atm!!

Running costs are also an interesting consideration - I did a few rough sums based on the mpg I got from the S (typically 27-28mpg) and what the 8 might do (guessed at 20mpg), factored in the fact that the 8 uses regular unleaded rather than SUL, and with 10K miles per year we are talking 4-500 pounds more in fuel! That's a fairly hefty difference, however my insurance is
Old 11-05-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

An all out sports roadster or a novelty 4 door saloon, wonder what one id pick.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:33 AM

Didn't realise the S had gone. Did you buy in Bury or Ipswich? What sort of deal did you get?

Come on post some pics, you know you want to!
Old 11-05-2005, 03:44 AM

Your comments on the engine baffle me

The engine in the RX8 is a completely souless mechanical device in my experience and I found absolutely no joy driving it in a spirited fashion - unlike the engine in the S.

Andy
Old 11-05-2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by baptistsan,Nov 5 2005, 04:33 AM
Didn't realise the S had gone. Did you buy in Bury or Ipswich? What sort of deal did you get?

Come on post some pics, you know you want to!
Hi

Ended up buying a pre-reg one from Coventry as they happened to have the colour combo I wanted (black with black/red leather). I could have got a slightly better deal on a pre-reg from Ipswich but not in my prefered colour. PM me if you want to know the actual numbers!

Haven't taken any pics yet but hope to do so tomorrow!

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPDQ,Nov 5 2005, 04:44 AM
Your comments on the engine baffle me

The engine in the RX8 is a completely souless mechanical device in my experience and I found absolutely no joy driving it in a spirited fashion - unlike the engine in the S.

Andy
I guess it depends on what you want. I'm certainly not going to say you are wrong!

The rotary engine revs more freely and willingly than the S2K unit, it is also much smoother and quieter - it just feels like it wants to rev, whereas the S, like any I4 engine really, always felt as though you were subjecting it to unnecessary mechanical abuse... obviously the noise it makes is a question of taste, I really like the turbine-like whine, it reminds me of my bikes. It also seems to have a bit more torque than the S, which is a suprise. I can see myself driving this engine harder than I ever worked the engine in the S.

It's odd that we have such diametrically opposed views on this!

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 11-05-2005, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ade73,Nov 5 2005, 04:11 AM
An all out sports roadster or a novelty 4 door saloon, wonder what one id pick.
Depends how many people you want to be able to move at a time

But yes, a very good point, it is a bit of a bus by comparison to the S
Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 AM
KMB

Great news to hear you've got the RX-8 Jerry, I look forward to seeing the pics.

Must do a proper photo shoot on your old car when the weather improves, dent magician sorted the door dings a treat and she's had a couple of coats of Mer
Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Presume you know about this jerry:

http://rx8ownersclub.co.uk
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 AM

Have a look at this - quite interesting....

http://rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9166

Quick Reply: What Mazda can learn from Honda