UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What makes the fans/heater so efficient?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes the fans/heater so efficient?

Hi all,

Nearly every person who has sat in my S2000 comments how quickly the heaters warm up and fans blow out warm air .

In other, much newer cars, it takes noticeably longer to reach a similarly cosy climate.

So, other than typical 'Honda engineering', what makes our heaters/fans so efficient?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ch3tman
Hi all,

Nearly every person who has sat in my S2000 comments how quickly the heaters warm up and fans blow out warm air .

In other, much newer cars, it takes noticeably longer to reach a similarly cosy climate.

So, other than typical 'Honda engineering', what makes our heaters/fans so efficient?
the s2000 burns a lot of oil, so chances are, you haven't got enough in it. enhanced friction will generate more heat and provide the lovely warmth. ture story.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I've always thought it was to do with the thin FRM wet sleeves the cylinders are in - might be wrong though
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Most likely a well-specified heater (it's a convertible after all).

If you friends own diseasals then they will really notice the difference as those take forever to warm up.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Hot, high pressure engine which along with the gearbox is mounted very close to the cabin.

And probably setup to put a decent amount of the coolant through the heater matrix with it being a convertible.

Most normal cars can only make me sweat with the heater on full whack, I don't think it's because of the cabin size though because the S2000 can be painfully hot even in the dead of Winter with the roof down.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM

It seems to be a "big" flow heater matrix, excellent when the top down setting is on...err with the top down of course... as opposed to the aforesaid mentioned Diesel taking a really long time to heat up..
My van has really good heater too but the time to heat up the 1.9 turbo is triple that of the S2K...

If you want a REALLY hot car get a ride in a Triumph GT6 ! standard issue shorts for the winter
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

^ is that more of an overheating issue where the matrix is like a second radiator for the engine?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 AM
MSC

Possibly a stupid reply but doesn't the fact its a smaller cabin space contribute to the warmth? plus the gearbox and drive train, i can feel the heat from it on my leg. My old MR2 always got warm inside quickly too, put it down to being a small cabin space and the engine alongside your back.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

? My BM is the same, instant heat, I agree re diesels and the point about tiny cabin is probably right
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MSC
Possibly a stupid reply but doesn't the fact its a smaller cabin space contribute to the warmth? plus the gearbox and drive train, i can feel the heat from it on my leg. My old MR2 always got warm inside quickly too, put it down to being a small cabin space and the engine alongside your back.
Still gets toasty with the roof down, and that makes for a mighty big cabin

The air coming out of the blowers can be significantly hotter than any other car I've had which has to be that more of the coolant is diverted through the heater matrix.

My bro used to have a Rover 416i with a dicky head gasket that would need the heater turning on full whack on occasion to help keep it under control. Even in the middle of Summer that cabin with the heater on full and the Windows down didn't get close to as hot as the S2000 can in Winter with the roof dropped.

Quick Reply: What makes the fans/heater so efficient?