UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What do you make of this?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tracktramp
It is a well known scam. Very often called " the offer you can't refuse scam"
Also known as the "You're sh1tting me...are you really that dumb?" scam
Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by gemma86
Ive put my car up for sale and had some interest from this person, could this be someone trying to launder money? Here's the email:

Great. am glad to read from you ,will appreciate more pictures... i am
a marine engineer, i am at sea right now.I am buying this for my son
as a surprise promise Gift so am willing to offer you the amount you
required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have
access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with
it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i
insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email
address to make the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account
yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.co.uk it cant take you less than
3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay .
I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments
has been sorted.

l will be waiting for your reply asap
you can even tell by the way its written, its not anyone that's English. Unfortunately, this is the work of bell-ends that are trying to screw westerners out of their hard earned cash. Don't even reply to the email whatsoever. If its not been sent from Nigeria, then it gets sent from typically poorer individuals flown over from west africa, living in West London. Its their way of life, having been there before and seen the scams in action. Its a problem that will never ever go away.
Don't be in a rush to sell, your car is lovely and will easily sell to the right person
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask him to send a pic of something like him with an apple on his head holding his ear to prove he is real. Just take the piss back.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM

I had a similar one when trying to buy an S2000 - the guy was definitely English - advert on PH. Story gradually started changing until he asked me to pay a £2500 deposit by Western Union
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

definitely seems like a scam but reporting it to the police will only inform them of a dodgy e-mail address as technically they haven't broken the law or robbed you yet.

they could possibly ask you to play along to investigate it and help catch them.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Cash Prize Monies!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks everyone, ive had these sort of emails before when ive advertised other cars, I just cant believe the cheek of these people, as its already been said who the hell buys a car without looking first. Didnt expect this from an ad in the bargain pages though
Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gemma86
Thanks everyone, ive had these sort of emails before when ive advertised other cars, I just cant believe the cheek of these people, as its already been said who the hell buys a car without looking first. Didnt expect this from an ad in the bargain pages though
You get it from an ad in the most expensive pages as well, IME.

The wonders of modern technology are double-edged - just as it's now easier to reach a wider audience, it's easier for a wider audience to reach us.

Not sure why Irvatron thinks iwanttobescammed@paypal.com is dodgy though - Iwantobe seemed completely genuine to me and my commission will arrive any day now
Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing you can do is string them along and make them waste as much of their time as possible. http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm
Old 08-18-2011, 02:23 AM

This kind of reminds me of something I keep meaning to do...

Setup one of those ultra high rate premium numbers, and make a recording of someone ansering the phone but getting distracted and asking people in the background to turn down the TV etc. Drag this out for several minutes.

Then fill out loads of random internet questionares and all that other crap and put this down as your contact number. Hopefully this number will get circulated and you will get people ringing you to try and sell you stuff and they will get charged to do so.

Reason I just thought of this is that you could string these people along and ask them yo ring you on the nnumber in order to arrange payment

Quick Reply: What do you make of this?