UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What to do with my nav screen

Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my nav screen

Trying to figure out what I should do with my nav screen in my S at the moment and figured more minds on the job may bring up more options than I can come up with.

I have the full JDM spec navigation system in my car but its never actually powered up in the time i've had it because the previous owner disconnected it. I've never bothered to get it powered up as its useless in the UK and is all in japanese.

So the question is, what would you fit instead of the screen? I've had thoughts along the lines of: Buying a sat nav with a similar sized screen and retro fitting it into the oem surround or building some sort of pc setup into the navigation housing in the boot with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse system and a screen in the OEM housing

I'd really like the screen to display data from the AEM EMS but i'm not sure if that is possible without a computer. I know HKS have the CAMP system which is able to take data from the cars sensors and display it on a screen but is there anything else out there that can do this aswell?

Any input into this at all will be gratefully received

I'll put some measurements up shortly to show what i'm playing with....
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Android tablets are pretty cheap nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjUJ2...eature=related
Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 PM
UK Moderator

Received 305 Likes on 261 Posts

See this thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/142...-cutting-club/ some useful stuff to put there.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
See this thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/142...-cutting-club/ some useful stuff to put there.
Cheers for the link i'm sure i've browsed through that at some point before but it was good to refresh the memory.

I'm going to get on the hunt now for a screen that will fit nicely in the OEM recess. In case anyone is bored and fancies searching aswell the dimensions required are:

Or the other option is to gut the Alpine housing and fit a slightly smaller screen in there. the dimensions of that are:

Which would sit inside:

And what my table looks like atm:

Old 03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you not fit a 7" screen behind the OEM housing? Alpine offer a few options in this size
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My plan is to fit a car pc running Centrafuse in there.

Just haven't got started yet

Bharat
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might take the plunge too Bharat. Go Tuning sell the OEM housing for RHD cars- I'm tempted to order one. I might fit an integrated Sat Nav or go all out and fit a fully pimped Alpine system.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Loon
I might take the plunge too Bharat. Go Tuning sell the OEM housing for RHD cars- I'm tempted to order one. I might fit an integrated Sat Nav or go all out and fit a fully pimped Alpine system.
Keep me in the loop mate !

Bharat
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Looks like an Archos 7 media player / internet tablet is the perfect size to fit in the hole. Thinking it can be hooked up to play the sound through the car stereo and i'll also be able to hook up a bullet camera and external mic and record straight to the 160gb hard drive.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I'd do a screen that fits the original housing with a car PC and then run XBMC with a touchscreen skin or something along those lines. I really wish I had the JDM dash with satnav cutout, as a car PC is something I've wanted in my S for ages!

Quick Reply: What to do with my nav screen