UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What to do

Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What to do

I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the S for a bit primarily because of the mileage and few other points mentioned below. Today when i got in the car the seat was soaking wet it pissed me off and my GF began to moan saying Its a bad car, shes sick of getting wet etc and its far too fast. I do think i need to replace the roof its been on since new.

I got fed up and TBH I thought okay I will get something more sensible now i was going to look at some nice diesels cars not that i have lots of money at the moment for a super dooper Audi etc (due to house etc)

I thought okay ill see whats she's worth in stock form and take it from there...i got a big shock . My car has done 118k now i have owned it for more than 3 years, realistically as it has FSH excellent condition etc etc its only worth about IMO 5k!! yikes!.

Now mechnically she is sound for a car of high mileage im amazed thats nothing has gone wrong, i do service it regulary and look over it myself when i take it in for service the guys always say its in excellent knick for its age. Some might say I'm an enhusiast, some might say im stupid, and some might say I'm sad

The car is in good knick with the dyno highlighting this. However how long is it going to last before the engine will go pop?. I must stress that i hardly rag it, as steve said "I'm no lewis hamilton"

I dont know what to do, i dont mind spening a little bit of money but i dont want to throw money at it, inevitably in time things will go wrong i know that for sure.

I do enjoy driving the car i have never got bored ever since the day i bought it at the ripe age of 22, got to say it had a hell of lot less mileage on it than it has now . I can either run it into the ground and sell or save up for a better car in the meantime or get rid of in these financially bad times.

Suggestions.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely it's worth more than 5k? You wouldn't get much change from a similarly aged decent condition ITR for that money...
Old 10-11-2008, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make two columns on a peice of paper and write down what yous wrong with the car in one and whats good in the other, then add a sum of money to fix the things you dont like and make i enough to do the job properly.
you now have your car properly listed and you can see how much its going to cost to sort it out, dont put things like "it will probably need a new engine soon" it doesn't now so why bother worriying
how much extra will you have to spend to get anything close to the same enjoyment? can you live with a rep mobile?
it wont drop much more than 5 k so you dont have depreciation to worry about its a future classic car so it could start to increase espesially when the low cost ones get chaved up and wraped around a lamp post on the first rainy day, making the clean well looked after ones even rarer
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

tbh I wouldn't pay any more than
Old 10-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Thanks guys.

I think 5k is resonable in these times.

I now guys in the US have had 160k out of there engines but most be one off's.

I'd like to say it was/still is AN AUTOMOVE LOVE AFFAIR
Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I predict a thread on Monday asking "what intake should I get for my S"
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Oct 11 2008, 12:22 PM
I predict a thread on Monday asking "what intake should I get for my S"
Funny mark, but good point

Nope already got one .

But for me the cars how i want it, and im going to knock the suspension idea on the head.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 AM
MB

It's a tricky one - you flog it for peanuts and shell out the same amount again for a fresh one, or run it into the ground and sell it for parts - and on the way there, pay for bits that break.

If you have a few quid spare, i'd chop it in and upgrade. I'd bet you could get near 6k for it. It would make a good track car for someone.

If not then just get the few niggles fixed and prepare for an engine rebuild at some point. Ian's car is going strong on it's second engine!

But I think you would be unhappy with anything but an S2000, and you like your cars, so try and stay in one if you can!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 AM
MB

PS - what condition is the clutch / roof / brakes / gearbox in?

These are the big ticket items which will hurt - so if you have a good feel for the condition of the car it could be worth hanging on?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:43 AM

Hi mark, i like cars is an understatement

I nearly got a job working on the I drive IIRC thats what its called for BMW but my stupid bint of an Ex kept me back home . I think the I-drive was a flop though?. Would could of been

Clutch, brakes and gearbox are all sweet as nut, the previous owner got the clutch changed at 70k.

Roof is on its way out, 2 holes but i think its the roof thats causing the leaks.

Quick Reply: What to do