UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What causes coil packs to blow

Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by davemr2
Cheers Simon, Your explanation make more sense and explains exactly what is going on, Simons a Great guy very helpful

Am going to check my voltage going into the pack, if its more that 14v its a problem ? Does anyone know if there is a resistor/regulator of some sort from the alt to the coil pack ? id imaging there will be just can see any.

Because all of the originals coils have went to coil pack heaven, leads me to think the life expectation is around the 50k mark as mine has 53k
Mine are all 120,000 miles old, so life expectancy would appear to be higher than that. (Hope I haven't cursed my coil packs now )
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Is the spark plug gap the standard 1.1mm /0.040"
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the reason but I have heard of a chain reaction of coil failures before and have been advised if one's changed then its a good idea to change all.
Don't know how much is myth and how much is fact

I've a couple of contacts at Denso. I'll see if I can find any logic behind it.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys. Boy is coming down to buy my bike so after that i will read the volt flow that reaches the coil pack and get the results to yous
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
I don't know the reason but I have heard of a chain reaction of coil failures before and have been advised if one's changed then its a good idea to change all.
I replaced one of mine only to have a second one fail about 2 weeks later. At that point I'd decided the rest were probably on their way out too and bought a set of 4 and kept one as a spare.

I suppose it makes sense that identical parts fitted at the same time and doing the same job would fail together.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 AM

We are running on all 4 woohoo, iv not put into vtec yet that's when the last one buggered up, so don't really want put it there until i have a spare just encase the 1 last remaining coil pack goes pop, But knowing me that will last all of one day cant drive the s2000 and not use vtec
Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by davemr2
Cheers guys. Boy is coming down to buy my bike so after that i will read the volt flow that reaches the coil pack and get the results to yous
Do it with the engine running otherwise it will be <14.4v!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Iv took it into vtec couldn't resist running sweet as a nut dont know if am hearing thing but the exhaust note sounds completely different and iv got diff wind up iv got a other diff but am putting a 4.77 final gear in it, just need to get new bearings and seals for it does anyone know where to buy the bearings for the pinion and the 2 drive shaft side bearings ? except honda wanting mental money for them
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, my contact has come back to me.
Usual disclaimers of cant comment on specific case without investigation/parts etc.
General comment was there was no reason for a daisy chain failure of coils. It's more likely to be some other issue bringing them down. Earthing problem on the wire harness for example. Far from anything concrete though.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 PM

thanks for the research

My car is still running ok,Coil pack wise. but there is a slight hesitation(Splutter) on occasion. Like bad mapping just not smooth through the lower parts of the rev range, Also getting the common idealing problem just not idealing when coming to lights etc iv tried all the cleaning the IACV and replace the idle air control valve and put a cable tie around it with no avail, Am not sure if the 2 problems are linked

Quick Reply: What causes coil packs to blow