UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What causes coil packs to blow

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes coil packs to blow

iv been having trouble with coil packs as i change the broken one for a used working one runs fine for few minute then bang back onto 3 checked what one it was so changed that same bloody thing again iv now collected 4 coil packs that are not working, what the freaking hell is going on here, very unlikely that they are all failing one after another. can it ?

not sure if something else i causing the coil packs to bugger up ?

Cheers guys
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM

anyone ? Am sure there is a tech guy who knows? I dont want to buy more and for them to go side ways as well

If there is any tests that i can do to check the volts going to the coils ? is it just a standard 12volt circuit
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Have you thought about changing your plugs/making sure they are tight?

Is it the same coil pack every time?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Brand new plugs in it and tight no different one everytime iv now got 3 knackered coil packs all my original ones iv got new ones in just now just not wanting them to as well
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

So you've replaced all the original coilpacks bar one with new ones and none of the new ones have gone?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried the failed coilpacks on another cylinder to be sure it really is the coilpack that's failed?

I guess if the voltage going to the coilpack is too high that could burn them out, but you'd have serious electrical issues if that was the case.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Basically, I have been sending him one by one my spare set of coil packs.

• The first one I sent was a dud unfortunately, so I tested my remaining 3 on my car, and they work fine.

• I then sent him a 2nd (FOC of course), only for another of his original packs to blow!

• I then sent him my 3rd. After a day or so Dave has had yet another of his original packs blow!

• I have now sent him my final pack in the post this morning! We are hoping that his last remaining original pack won't go bad too, as neither of us have any spare packs left!

So to confirm, apart from my first dud, 3 of his packs have blown one after the other in a matter of a week or so!? Which after my final pack arrives will leave him with 3 good packs from me, 1 good pack of his original set, and 4 bad packs (1 of which was mine). Understandably this a frustrating coincidence!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That's truly excellent life cycle engineering, if all four originals fail within such a tiny time frame!

Cunning, these Japanese.

The only thing I can think of that could be wrong is if your regulator is allowing the alt. to output >14.4v.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 AM

Cheers Simon, Your explanation make more sense and explains exactly what is going on, Simons a Great guy very helpful

Am going to check my voltage going into the pack, if its more that 14v its a problem ? Does anyone know if there is a resistor/regulator of some sort from the alt to the coil pack ? id imaging there will be just can see any.

Because all of the originals coils have went to coil pack heaven, leads me to think the life expectation is around the 50k mark as mine has 53k
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

Certainly coilpacks have much more life than 50K. I was about to say it but it was mentioned before. Electrical problem might be the issue. Meassure the current reaches the coilpacks individually to see but to be honest if you do have more voltage there you must be the first one with a problem like that but I cannot think of anything else that can create the coipacks failure.

Quick Reply: What causes coil packs to blow