UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What cars did u consider/drive before deciding on an 'S'

Old 03-25-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R33 GTR V-spec and Evo 4.

Then went past the local Honda garage, saw the S on the forecourt, and just bought it!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:38 AM

SUPRA
Too hard to track down a decent non-JDM import targa roof model.

ELISE
Too hard to live with - Ilike at least some comfort

MR2
Looked too much like a shunted Boxster

To be honest, I was pretty certain to get an S2000 even when I started looking around. For the money, you can't beat it.

Zero, you mention the Esprit V8 - a mate of mine had one for a while after his Esprit S4S. Both of them spent far too much time in the garage. The V8's engine eventually went porous and he bought an Imprezza P1. Said he was well rid of the Esprit.
They do look good, though. And perform well (when they're running !)
Old 03-25-2003, 01:45 AM

Placed an order for a Boxster S. Bottled it after a few months, when I seriously looking at the costs involved (such as 800 quid for a front light + VAT) I quickly realised it wasn't for me.

Took S out for a day's demo. first thought was NO WAY, as I really didn't like the interior at first.

However, a bit of VTEC and a nice twisty road soon made me love it, and that it's got the same steering wheel as the Sega Rally 2 coin-op.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove the Boxster and didn't like the gearbox or the brakes in comparison with the S2000.

I drove a 111S a couple of months ago and the engine was depressing, as was the gear change. As anyone who has been in the car with me will know, I like a quick gear change and therefore the S's gearbox was a real draw for me!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:14 AM

Where to start!

At the time I was in the Integra Type-R and looking for anything that took my eye........

S3 = Loved the interior but didn't get on with the gear change and the previous model needed more power (a chip would work nicely).

EVO6 = Great motor, but who was driving?

Sti Scoob = Loved it, but very poor PX on my Integra! Also the misses thought it was ugly..... Fair enough I suppose

New M3 = Huge power, but left me cold and my head was rubbing the roof lining? Strange for such a big motor!

993 = Gorgeous, pricey to insure and run. Maybe next time

Boxster = I should have drove the 'S' but the price is to close to a A1 993 C4! I didn't get on with the regular Boxster but can understand how it does so well.

Z3 2.2 = No thankyou!

CTR = Great Hot Hatch and at a cracking price, but I thought my Integra was a more involving motor.

P1 = Didn't like the interior one bit, so binned the test drive! Missed one there I think.

Merc SLK 230 = Nice but should have tried the 320 if not so pricey!

ZM Coupe = Still love these beasts, haven't driven one though......
Noble = I wish......... Needs different lights though....
V6 Clio = I love them, but never managed to get a drive......

What next? Who knows! I'm waiting to see what the 350Z is like to drive and also waiting to see the SAAB 9-2 with the Scoob power/transmission

Matty
Old 03-25-2003, 02:58 AM

Still considering, although it is almost certain to be an S2000.
VX220: Cheaper running costs and purchase cost, but poorer depriciation, less range, less comfortable on longer journeys.
Supra: Insurance and running issues with an import. Would have to be 4+ years old and have miles on it.
TVRs and Elises: Reliability issues put me off. Perhaps a TVR four or five years after the S2000, when I should be able to afford a brand new one.
Imprezas and Evos: Too ugly
Mazda RX8: Perhaps. Increased practicallity, newness may help depreciation. Lots of car for the money. Not really sporty looking enough though. Haven't been able to test drive yet.
Nissan 350Z: Can't test drive yet, won't order until I have test drove, therefore won't be able to get one until 2004. My current car has to go in November this year, so I'd need a temporary car in between. I'll try to test drive one when they're over, but it would have to be awfully good.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:38 AM

First took out a Z3 2.8 (I think)

Then MX5 1.8

Then Audi TT 225

Viewed SLK but it was Auto so did not bother going out

Then S2000

Then S2000 again

Then S2000 again

Then S2000 again and bought it.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:07 AM

Integra Type R - test drove and thought this engine's for me. Someone else had to point out the interior/rear was unbelievable crap and it was loud enough to make your ears bleed. Thought the S2000 would be easier to live with (but I couldn't afford it)

Alfa GTV-V6. Still love the looks although it is getting old. The Alfa dealer managed to p!ss me off so much over a test drive that I dis-missed it out of hand. (Petty I know, but WTF)

BMW - had one (318iS), bored me to tears.

Test drove the S2000, put a deposit down on return - picked the car up 2 weeks later. Damn those persuasive salesmen

(Still working out whether I can afford it or not )
Old 03-25-2003, 04:16 AM

Decided to get a company car and pass my S3 to my gf. Wanted a convertible, what can I get?

For the money, I had the following options:

Audi TTR 180 - Dream on, curling tongs, and wayyyyy too slow

MR2 - Good to drive but way to slow, no electic hood

MX5 - as above

Z3 - yeah right

Merc Slk 230 - way too expensive with a few extras, plus its a girls car

And that was that! I got an S on demo for a week and loved every minute... well... except the 100 mile drive home on the M1 in torrential rain, that was a wee bit scary, 45 mph in the inside lane

Should get the exact (cough) delivery date today
Old 03-25-2003, 04:42 AM

Always loved the S since I first saw it on Top Gear before it was even released. Managed to hunt down a brochure from a dealer and decided that 'One day, you shall be mine!'

Took me nearly 4 years to get one, couldn't change my Nissan as we were looking at buying a house back in 2000.

Alison and I actually looked at the following:

Z3 - Too much of an image and HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIZE OF THAT STEERING WHEEL!!!! TALK ABOUT DUSTBIN LID!!!

BMW 325/330 Ci - HOW MUCH!!!! Yeah right!!!

New MR2 - decided we needed to get more than a pencil case in the boot to spend weekends away.

MGF - Didn't actually look at one, but the thought crossed my mind....... and that was that!

MX5 - Didn't want to step down too far from the Nissan in performance, also too many of them.

Boxter - Running costs mainly, also found it difficult to justify spending

Quick Reply: What cars did u consider/drive before deciding on an 'S'