UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What cars did u consider/drive before deciding on an 'S'

Old 03-24-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW 328CI coupe. I had a test drive in a real beauty...full body kit, 18" alpinas, all the kit. It was a very nice car to drive, quite quick, good handling, numb steering, but since I was replacing a BMW, not very exciting.

Audi TT 225 Coupe. I really like the design of the Audi. I had a seat in one, and although impressed by the build quality, you sat on the the car, not in it. I tried to get a test drive, but Audi dealers were not very helpfull, and in the end didn't have one as I had to make a decision on the 'S' (pre-ordered by dealer and available within 6 weeks).

TVR Chimeara. This is what I really wanted - you cant beat the sound of a V8. I had a good look at one months before I was ready to buy and did a lot of research on Pistonheads. Unfortunately, this put me off. Servicing every 6000 miles at
Old 03-24-2003, 10:40 PM

Boxster also, couldn't justify spending
Old 03-24-2003, 10:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

NSX - couldn't find a decent one at a reasonable price

993 - Thought the inside was too basic, not enough boot space and the bills for keeping it on the road put me off.

S2000
Old 03-24-2003, 11:16 PM

I knew for about a year that I wanted the S. The voice of conscience (my missus) delayed the purchase a bit.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:21 PM

Tried the Lotus Elise, Vauxhall VX220, and Audi TT Roadster (225). Also considered a Boxster but as has already been said, too expensive for not much car in comparison... Plus, Boxsters are SOOOO common in Sheffield while I've only ever seen one S2000 OTR here... So I paid my deposit to the nice mister last night and now I wait...
Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 PM

Boxster

I considered a Boxster but once I'd removed the cache of that Porsche badge (which is a draw for me I admitt for motorsport connections not pose value) I dismissed it as not really special enough. Yes the engine is a gem but I couldn't see a particular feature of the car that was special enough to really light my fire so to speak

Lotus Esprit V8

Now this is the car I wanted and could have afforded but........it's way too flash for me to use as an every day car. It wouldn't go down too well in the office car park. So with dismay I had to dismiss this as one for the future

MX5

Too slow coming from a 321BHP M3 I knew the power differential would be too great, also they are everywhere

TVR Chim/Cerbera

Likewise a trawl on Pistonheads did put me off with talk of engine rebuilds so the TVR idea was shelved

Lotus Elise

Always loved these but a brief trip out in a mates S1 destroyed the idea for me. I was really really dissapointed by the engine, I know the Elise is all about handling but the lack of sparkle from the engine finished it for me. The engine is the heart and soul of a car in my opinion and if it's 'not there' then for me it's bye bye

Honda S2000

For me the S2000 was all about 'that engine', combined with rear wheel drive, no electronic driver aids and the fact that they are relatively rare sold it to me
Old 03-24-2003, 11:46 PM

with Zero, I also found the rarity a selling point. The S has been around now for about 4 years now and it still turns heads big time !
Old 03-25-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From day of release, wanted one as soon as I saw them. But Mr Carper needed to pay his house off.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:22 AM

Lotus Elise
Mercedes Benz 230SLK
MGF

I also thought of importing an American Car - corvette or mustang, but the running costs over here quickly deterred me.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Roadkill

Mercedes Benz 230SLK
MGF
Are you good with scissors?

Quick Reply: What cars did u consider/drive before deciding on an 'S'