UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What Brake Pads?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Brake Pads?

HI
Need to replace brake pads and would appreciate any recommendations.
Mainly for driving on road with occasional track day. Have found brakes fade on track, hence also thinking of putting on braided hoses.

Heard EBC Red stuff and green stuff are good, although Red stuff take time to heat up hence not so good for general road use.

- made the mistake (again) of leaving hand brake on after washing car - rears rusted to rim worse than normal and took quite a force to free - leaving some of brake pad 'welded' on disk! Right old mess to get off with a paint scraper.

thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 01:11 AM

I use Green stuff on the race car, they still need to warm up - going into the first corner is always a bit of a heart stopper even though I try to warm them up on the assembly lap. The race car only weighs half that of the S2000 but I wouldn't want pads on the road which don't have full stopping power first time every time. Don't even think about Red stuff, they are race only as far as I am concerned.
Many people use Porterfield pads which seem to get a good write up on the S2000 - have a search for them using the search engine and look inthe technical FAQ thread linked to fron the 'Useful threads' link at the top of this page.

Putting braided hoses won't stop the brakes fading on a track day, what it will do is give you a firmer pedal feel and stronger braking as the pipes can't expand and lose some of the force suplied by the braking system. However fade is due usually to the brake fluid boiling and creating air pockets in the braking system, this can be overcome to some extent by changing the fluid to a higher DOT rating, which boils at a higher temperature.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:49 AM

MarkB - many thanks for your wise words.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:51 AM

I found the limiting factor as regards track days was the brake fluid boiling..............not enough cooling downlaps according to Mark.....trouble is once the fluid boiled they never really recovered and put a dampener on things especially when you knew you were quick but had to brake sooooo much earlier it appeared you were driving like a granny
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 AM

Does anyone know who in London / S.E. can supply Porterfield R4S pads and how much they would roughly cost ?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:39 AM
kev

Green stuff pads Mark? Hmm..do you find that they have a huge build up brake dust? I had this problem when I used them in my FTO. Bloody nightmare those things, but I guess since you use it for your race car it doesn't have much time to deposit the stuff on the discs.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:48 AM

Kev, 20 mins qualifying and 10 or 12 racing laps and my front wheels turn from red to back with the dust.
Which unfortunately means I have to clean the car between races of everyone notices. I can only imagine it would be worse on a road car.

Paul, the course at Hullavington was only short so one cool-down lap wasn't really enough, especially the amount of stick you were giving your brakes! I was doing 3 or 4 cool down laps and still had my pedal go slightly soft.

A fluid change would definitely help I feel.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:57 AM

I hammered my brakes big time....thing is prior to the fluid boiling I was going in so deep I could scarcely believe just how late you could brake.....especially as to look at the brakes don't really look much

I should have taken your advice....still...I guess you live and learn