UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wet sanding

Old 03-22-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet sanding

I remember reading on a post a little while back that getting rid of light scratches and road use chips from clear plastic could be done by light wet sanding with various grades of sand paper and then some sort of polish.

Thought it was crazy at the time but a friend of mine is thinking of trying it so perhaps he can be the guinea pig

Anyone done this before? Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 AM

You can remove scratches from plastic using wet and dry paper. You will only be adding more 'scratches' however. The depth of scratch depending on the grade of paper you use. The higher the number the finer the abrasive particles on the paper. You will still have to use a plastic polish to remove these scratches. It's all about working through grades of abrasive (a polish is a finer abrasive) there are different grades of polish. You may be able to just use polishes. If you can experiment on a scrap piece that would help or maybe speak to someone in the polishing business - yellow pages?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 AM

I will be using 1500 grit paper to flatten touch up paint. Some scrote keyed both sides of the car* and the paint shop has quoted
Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=Amuse Boy,Mar 22 2006, 04:13 PM] I will be using 1500 grit paper to flatten touch up paint. Some scrote keyed both sides of the car* and the paint shop has quoted
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by wadsy,Mar 22 2006, 05:16 AM
You can remove scratches from plastic using wet and dry paper. You will only be adding more 'scratches' however. The depth of scratch depending on the grade of paper you use. The higher the number the finer the abrasive particles on the paper. You will still have to use a plastic polish to remove these scratches. It's all about working through grades of abrasive (a polish is a finer abrasive) there are different grades of polish. You may be able to just use polishes. If you can experiment on a scrap piece that would help or maybe speak to someone in the polishing business - yellow pages?
Yeah good idea. May get some advice from someone whole restores plastics - if there is such a thing
Old 03-22-2006, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=Amuse Boy,Mar 22 2006, 08:13 AM] I will be using 1500 grit paper to flatten touch up paint. Some scrote keyed both sides of the car* and the paint shop has quoted
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

with the proviso that you need to practise first..........

as AB says - try something like 1500 grade wet and dry - used wet and keeping the paper and job wet (use water containing a little detergent)

this should give you a matt finish then go to 1000 grade

then something like a metal polish - chrome cleaner or similar

lastly mild paint restorer and lastly polish/wax

if you are doing something like proud paint caused by touching it then it's helpful to use a very small flat block when using the wet and dry

this prevents finger marks and takes the proud paint off parallel with its surroundings
Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 AM

That sounds like some good advice Pete, you done this before?

I have some Autoglym paint restorer which I know works well on touch ups. We'll try that after sanding.

I also have some Meguiars Plast-X which he's tried. It's no miracle worker but it does help to get the lens clear and shiny.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM

Not my car but my friends M3. I will do a write up of the progress as we've only just filled the key marks with touch paint mixed with clear coat. The next stage is to use the grit paper to sand down the paint and then finally polish using a random orbital. We should get it looking good as new again.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 PM

I would strongly suggest the use of something made for the job, like Hindsight or one of the other specific products on the plastic rear screens - as one post says, you'll only be adding your own fine scratches.
Admittedly I sell the stuff, but I think sanding it is ill advised and risky - if its goes wrong you're into a new screen, much more costly than the proprietary products.

Quick Reply: Wet sanding