UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Westy's Progress Thread

Old 11-24-2014 | 07:35 AM

maybe a more efficient cooler is a better option with bonnet vents to aid the cooling
Old 11-24-2014 | 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by flybikeslee
maybe a more efficient cooler is a better option with bonnet vents to aid the cooling
Yes but put, The price of a bigger cooler and pipework, and a bonnet VS some rubber hose and a small pump and switch.... and the fact it will improve the efficiency of any intercooler.... and then the issues with vented bonnets like water ingress rust etc etc...
Old 11-24-2014 | 09:19 AM

My old scoob had i/c water injection never really noticed a difference but anything helps is a good thing try it out
Old 11-24-2014 | 09:55 AM

Weaty,

I look at running alot of options for brake cooling and at some stage i did consider something like this but rigged up by myself

http://www.willallracing.com.au/gtrbrakes.htm

Ultimately as much as i like a project and tinkering (i never stop messing about) i decided that i would get through alot of water (10 litres per 15 minute session) to aid cooling of the brake discs. The extra weight and agro at trackdays topping up all the time just made it not workable in the end.

What i did learn from all that experience is that for a decent cooling solution you need to atomise the water and then it will cover a much larger surface area. I even tested a couple of jets and a cheap ebay high pressure pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8Vq...iIDFjomFVJDPSw

Aquamist jets with a high pressure pump will do a good job and you could probably have it on a switch or have some sort of inlet temp switch that brings the spray on. In an ideal world i would get the HKS kit but use a water chargecooler and pump. Would probably work out more expensive but chargecoolers seem to have excellent results.
Old 11-24-2014 | 11:25 AM

For any one not a fan of Mighty Car Mods, this video tests the theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0MY0...6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A

And the install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmzLa...8W2J3A&index=5
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:15 PM

Ive removed my air dam plastic centre bumper thing so have somewhere to mount the sprayers, maybe could just use the bumper ones and lengthen the pipes... idk... maybe ill look into this I have a switch in the garage too.... all need is a small water pump and bottlenin the boot I guess....
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by weatyGT
Ive removed my air dam plastic centre bumper thing so have somewhere to mount the sprayers, maybe could just use the bumper ones and lengthen the pipes... idk... maybe ill look into this I have a switch in the garage too.... all need is a small water pump and bottlenin the boot I guess....
OEM washer bottle holds 7 litres so its ideal for intercooler spray. Would just need to remove it and drill and tap the bottom of the tank with a small brass hose barb. Jobs a gud un.
Old 11-24-2014 | 12:49 PM
Community Organizer
15 Year Member

If you are going to go for the HKS supercharger which I believe runs circa 350 bhp then you won't need any additional water sprayers, etc, to keep it cool unless you are intending on using the car for purely track days then you may see a small benefit.

My set up is aftercooled and I have the larger / race heat exchanger which helps to keep temperatures down and even after a long run I can lift the bonnet and lay my hand on my aftercooler without the fear of being burnt. Earlier in the year I did the Euromeet and the only time over 2,600 miles where my engine temp rose slightly was when we were going flat out climbing the sides of a mountain at something like 2,800ft above sea level. Yes, there is a lot of heat under the bonnet created by the blower but that is where a vented bonnet would come in to a world of its own and that's why you see so many F/I cars with them. You keep on mentioning / linking vented bonnets & rust yet I know of numerous owners with vented bonnets on N/A and F/I cars that have not had a single issue.

I'm not even sure that any of the turbo guys that are running 500 + bhp have got water sprayers and personally I wouldn't waste my time or money pursuing the idea
Old 11-24-2014 | 01:08 PM

I think of it like this...

the HKS SC is circa 350-400bhp as ill have the 255ltr denso pump and 650injectors. (Im not interested in bhp figures, I am interested in driveablilty and gokart style handling) the vented bonnets work very well, I added a carbon fibre evo 7 vent into my previous cars bonnet and also rised the rear of the bonnet to allow air to escape. I found the water got in and was corroding things that just didnt need to be an issue like the starter connections, batrery, general dampness.... I like the sebion bonnet with the muliple slots in. Just dont like the thought of always worrying about the problems popping up....

when the SC is mapped its important to keep things as cool as possible, including the intake temps, with a summer like we just had the water spray is a good idea.... if i can make the water spray from the oe on the car.... its a no brainer.... for a few pounds and some time and attention I could have cooler inlet temps on hot days.... and peace of mind that the afr and fueling etc etc isn't thrown out of the norms....

After all im increasing the heat produced, so I need to increase the cooling too. 230bhp with breathing mods... say 370bhp SC'd.... thats a massive percentage in heat production.... so needs cooling solution really, imo to keep it reliable and my peace of mind especially as I don't plan on opening up the engine for strengthening etc etc.

Ill think about it and see what I think once fittted. It's cool to see other owners looking at and trying out new ideas like this, one guy on then usa side of forum (in boosted area) has a top mount IC open top bonnet and possible water sprayers too! Thats alot of love and attention to his car. Fair play.... hes no V8 craziman like Carl B though.... lol. Mark you seem handy with the spanners!
Old 11-24-2014 | 01:40 PM

Its abit 50/50 really. Cooler means the engine has an easier life but the mapper will account for raising inlet temperatures and adjust the fueling to suit.

Weaty it could be alot worse like the guys who run jackson superchargers with no aftercooling at all. EP3 civics run very high inlet temperatures when they are supercharged and recently a few aftercooler kits have come out and gained another 40bhp. My brother had his mini cooper s supercharged and went from the standard 150 odd bhp up to 260 with a smaller pulley and he had to run methanol injection otherwise it would blow up in no time!.

My personal preference is a water aftercooler as i just think its a better design and if you can put up with the extra set up time you can get very good results. Very expensive thou.

I'm reasonably handy with the spanners as im a mechanical fitter but i cant do some of the custom work you see some of the guys do, amazing stuff! Would love to be able to learn new skills like welding but the problem is we don't need to use it on a daily basis and you soon forget the skills.

Quick Reply: Westy's Progress Thread