UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Westy's Progress Thread

Old 10-08-2014 | 08:13 AM

Yeah im glad I changed it as soon as it started.... just did a chip shop run for family dinner, it drives a bit better to, hmmm maybe its a placebo effect. Purrs like a kitten.... just the clonk to solve now with the shiney new 75a bushes!
Old 10-08-2014 | 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by weatyGT
Yeah im glad I changed it as soon as it started.... just did a chip shop run for family dinner, it drives a bit better to, hmmm maybe its a placebo effect. Purrs like a kitten.... just the clonk to solve now with the shiney new 75a bushes!
Although the TCT rattle was alway more pronounced when the engine was warm. Perhaps you need a decent run before being sure it's okay And I can't believe you'd have fish'n'chips in your S! Madness
Old 10-08-2014 | 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
Originally Posted by weatyGT' timestamp='1412784787' post='23361434
Although the TCT rattle was alway more pronounced when the engine was warm. Perhaps you need a decent run before being sure it's okay And I can't believe you'd have fish'n'chips in your S! Madness

Bagged up, tied up and in the boot with a towel over them to to be brutaly honest is how the fish and chips were transported. car did get up to temperature :-)
Old 10-08-2014 | 11:41 PM
10 Year Member

[quote name='weatyGT' timestamp='1412697273' post='23359899']

Balance pipes looks like a good idea on the primary's
Old 10-09-2014 | 12:02 AM

Noodles..... explain yourself? :-) Do you mean the little pipes connecting the middle ones? I though they were there to help keep it stable and stop the movement.... is it to help gas turbulance???

I have tried to smooth out the inside of the pipes as there is some weld that isnt smooth..... Unfortunately I have no dremel so I shall deal with this ince I get it back from Zircotec :-)
Old 10-09-2014 | 07:18 AM

So today,

Magnetic drain plug - Js Racing
10w-40 petronas syntium 1000
why 10-40? That's what the book says and hope to keep this chain rattle away period! Couldnt find casterol edge 10w-40.... so pretronas it was, car had petronas 5w-40 previously.
I guess its more important to change the oil than use a thinner oil.... anyway.

Thanks Si at HendyPerformance.
Old 10-09-2014 | 08:00 AM
10 Year Member

Noodles..... explain yourself? :-) Do you mean the little pipes connecting the middle ones? I though they were there to help keep it stable and stop the movement.... is it to help gas turbulance???

I have tried to smooth out the inside of the pipes as there is some weld that isnt smooth..... Unfortunately I have no dremel so I shall deal with this ince I get it back from Zircotec :-)
Dont know to be honest but think its to balance the high velocity speed so aid scavenge, thus pull the burnt gas out from the combustion chamber = helps the frequency in the headers i guess

Megaphonitis
also anti-reversion chambers have same results.
Old 10-09-2014 | 12:57 PM

The hardest bit was getting the new balladesports tct in all the way, opted to screw it in gently with the bolts, just nip tight!! Then wing nut and screw out, and centre screw thing in just until it stops, then back plate on just nip tight.... ran it no rattle at all.... stopped & started again no rattle, usual ever so slight tappy niise that is normal its nice and quiet now.... so we will see if it stays that way moving forwards nicely.

Thanks for the tips guys very helpful

My blood ran cold when I read this, what you have done mate is put pre-load on the timing chain, you are highly likely to have some engine dramas in the not too distant future. This isn't me being a smart arse angel of death or anything, but please read this thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...t/page__st__75

Just to do a snap shot of it here is a quote from Billman (who in the best way possible is a smart arse )

[quote = name 'Billman250']
What I mentioned earlier about chain preload is paramount. If anyone has installed ANY TCT (including mine), and had to draw the TCT in with the bolts, then your camwheel bushing is going to be the first casualty. It is very small, and when it fails the entire engine will suffer an oil pressure loss. The bushing will starve, overheat, then fuse itself to the camwheel inner spindle. The spindle will then rip loose from its mounting, and spin on the bolt until it overheats and fuses to the bolt, snapping it off. We have already learned this from loose camwheel bolts that were reported and that I have seen personally.

If you can HOLD the TCT against the cylinder head with the pressure of one finger, you will be fine I assure you. You can then install the bolts and tighten them, provided you can hold flush with one finger while doing so.

If you cannot hold the TCT flush to the head with one finger, and you pulled the TCT flush to the head with the bolts, the chances for severe damage are going to rise greatly. If you are in this class, I strongly recommend you pull the TCT, retract it, and re-check the preload (attempt to hold the TCT flush to the block with one index finger) this goes for all TCTs in existence.
[/quote]

Again sorry to be the mesenger but best to know now.
You need proper advice on this but AFAIK you will need to back turn the engine slightly to give the "loose" side of the chain a bit more slack, good luck.
Old 10-09-2014 | 01:18 PM
10 Year Member

Holy get in touch with him some bod please ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-09-2014 | 01:27 PM

Already PM'd him...

Quick Reply: Westy's Progress Thread