UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Weird noises

Old 04-16-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noises

My car has begun making some very strange noises - a sort of grating, rattly, croaking noise that occurs every few minutes whether or not the car is in motion, the engine is running or it has been parked and locked for days. Its a fairly loud noise that can be heard from tens of metres away from the car. I noticed it a month or so ago and it has become more frequent and more noticable since. I've read a thread that mentioned that the air pump at the front and fuel pump at the back that keep operational when the ignition is off but the noises don't sound like those described. The noise definitely comes from the front and listening under the bonnet suggests that it is coming from the brake cylinder although the under-bonnet acoustics make this a bit uncertain.

Has anyone else experienced this or are there any theories around as to what may be causing it?

Pete
Old 04-16-2002, 11:35 AM

That sounds a bit peculiar Pete, the ?fuel pump noises I get aren't at all grating or rattly, more an eery moaning as though the car is pining to be driven again A nice description I read was "a distant foghorn"

Grating rattly noises sound like a trip to a good dealer might not be amiss

HTH

Tif
Old 04-18-2002, 12:01 PM

A friend of mine also has an S2K, which he has owned for about 6 months (it was an ex-demo with only about 2000 miles on the clock). He called me today to say that whist he was out on Sunday, he was playing a little with a Scooby. When they reached a set of traffic lights at a junction, the scooby driver pulled alongside and spoke briefly about how he loved the look and perfomance of the S2k's. 'Lovely car' he said, 'but what is that knocking noise'. My friend got out of his car and could then also here this knocking from the S2K's engine. It turns out that the engines has completely blown and he is now in the process of getting a whole new engine installed (on warranty of course) but still a real bitch though. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble. The dealer told him that they have rarely caried out and major works on these engines because they rarely develop any faults.

R
Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,
There were a very few early cars with a manufacturing fault on one of the cylinder's that caused failure. Apart from that (long sorted), there are now known problems. There has been at least one other UK engine that's had a bearing problem that's been posted about on the forums. Apart from that, there have been cases where the owner has let the oil level get too low during running in and afterwards, because not everyone knows that the engine burns oil initially so you need to check.
If you can find out what the fault on his engine was, and post it, it could be useful information. If it's a bottom end bearing again, then that's 2 so far. Hardly a trend, but interesting nethertheless.

-Brian.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:13 PM

Pete, a simple way to locate the source of the noise is with a short piece of tube (Hose pipe) put one end to your ear and search with the other end. But I would still take it to your dealers.

Wooly
Old 04-18-2002, 01:42 PM

Pete,

Are you saying that you get the noise even with the engine switched off? I'd be surprised if it was something venting, as surely it would stop afer a while. If so then I wonder if it's electrical? Could it be coming from the alarm?
Old 04-18-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by bmarshall
Chris,
There were a very few early cars with a manufacturing fault on one of the cylinder's that caused failure. Apart from that (long sorted), there are now known problems. There has been at least one other UK engine that's had a bearing problem that's been posted about on the forums. Apart from that, there have been cases where the owner has let the oil level get too low during running in and afterwards, because not everyone knows that the engine burns oil initially so you need to check.
If you can find out what the fault on his engine was, and post it, it could be useful information. If it's a bottom end bearing again, then that's 2 so far. Hardly a trend, but interesting nethertheless.

-Brian.
Knocking noise from the engine is very likely to be piston slap, which is the onset of no.4 cylinder failure. Unfortunately it seems that problem has not gone away yet, as there are still cases happening.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by S2000RJ
Pete,

Are you saying that you get the noise even with the engine switched off? I'd be surprised if it was something venting, as surely it would stop afer a while. If so then I wonder if it's electrical? Could it be coming from the alarm?
Rob,

Yes, the noise appears even when the engine is switched off - it's nothing to do with the engine cooling down either as it happens for days (and probably longer) after the engine has been switched off. My suspicion is that it could be the bearing on the air pump if that remains active continously pumping fresh air in occasionally. I can't hear any "distant fog horns" anyway. Looks like a trip to the dealer is necessary.

Pete
Old 04-19-2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by pete_keeling

Rob,

Yes, the noise appears even when the engine is switched off - it's nothing to do with the engine cooling down either as it happens for days (and probably longer) after the engine has been switched off. My suspicion is that it could be the bearing on the air pump if that remains active continously pumping fresh air in occasionally. I can't hear any "distant fog horns" anyway. Looks like a trip to the dealer is necessary.

Pete
The air pump should old run for about 30 seconds after you start the engine. It's purpose is to pump clean air into the exhaust, to help the cat heat up quicker, will the engine is running rich. It should not be on after the ignition is switched off. The foghorn sound is I believe one of the valves venting the emission system to ambient air presure.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:21 AM

You should post this in the main forum, there is a huge wealth of knowledge out there.
I have been pondering over this one and am completely and totally baffled as to what could be the root cause.

Quick Reply: Weird noises