UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ways of telling if an S' bodywork is original?

Old 06-24-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ways of telling if an S' bodywork is original?

Im off later on today to look at the yellow S2000 again that I want to buy. I'm pretty sure that the paint and panels are all original but are there any stamps/telltale signs that they are? It has the Jap stickers inside the doorshuts etc but is there anything on the front panel which could give it away?

Any help would be great!

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Look at the bolts that hold any panels in place, they are generally always painted the same colour as the car. If a panel has been off, you can often see paint missing where a spanner has been used on the edges of the bolts.

Replaced panels aren't really a problem and I doubt you could get a non Honda one.

Check everything is aligned to the rest of the car and the doors are hung spot on.

Look down the side of the panels and see that not only the colour, but the shine matches the next panel.

Spend a while walking round it to let it sink in too.

MB
Old 06-25-2005, 02:29 AM

Best thing is to take someone else with you.

I know I always get caught up in the excitement of the whole thing and miss things I really should have spotted.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:24 AM

Yup, make sure it is well hung. Good advice, my missus tells me.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:25 AM

IIRC the rear wing has to be welded on (at least in part, if not wholly).

Beardie had corrosion appearing in the new welds, under the paint, at the rear of the passenger door jam - you can see the join to the rear of the plastic kickplate. (after rear end damage in his old car). I'd look very carefully at that area of the car if I was buying a used S.

If it's accident damage in general you are looking for, uneven tyre wear is another indication if the bodyshop haven't sorted the geo properly. Fronts normally wear on the inside. Rears should wear pretty evenly across the tread. Stand at the back of the car and look at the camber to check each side is the same.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:47 AM

If it's panel damage and you have a good body repairer you will not be able to tell.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look and. . . . .

IF IN DOUBT - DON'T!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:03 AM

Good advice from Dark Blue Mark and Baptistan. Always take someone with you who knows what to look for. If it's been repaired then a 'ripple' in the light/paint is often detectable as you look along the line of the panel. Also check underneath, repairs are somtimes easier to detect, overspray, welds etc
Old 06-25-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was also told to feel the paint, will upset the owner having hand prints all over it but the older cars where painted with a different type of paint where as newer cars are now water based and you can feel the changes, also hondas are very flat painted no orange peel as you get on some cars this will also be visible.

take your time and look at everything under and over.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:59 AM

thanks alot for the advice guys! When I first looked at it the other day i couldnt find anything wrong with the bodywork, the stickers on the door shuts were all on, the panels lined up, the paint was evenly matched, the lower sills underneath looked mint etc... I was mainly weary of the tell tale signs of front end damage. It did look spot on but i wanted to be sure!!!! Perhaps im being too paranoid!

Thanks
Chris

Quick Reply: Ways of telling if an S' bodywork is original?