UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Waxing: Which one?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zymol has a branding/pricing problem if you can buy some stuff in Halfords for
Old 04-25-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the stuff that Halfords sell.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StevenM
http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...geview/72083/6/
Old 04-25-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kobe
So is the Zymol in the fancy kits the same as sold in retail outlets for a few quid???
No, the Hellfords stuff and the "kits" you can buy from authorised resellers are quite different, hence the price differential.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 AM

What are the differences?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:54 AM

The Autobathe stuff is different - I've had both. No idea what the difference is, to be honest - at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, I assume it must be the constituent parts.

The wax is certainly different. The stuff you buy from the authorised resellers comes in a pot and is (at normal temperatures) solid. I'd imagine the difference between that and the Hellfords stuff is the amount of carnauba wax used in it (assuming that the Hellfords stuff is carnauba). Zymol does a range of different products with differing amounts of carnauba wax in them - the more expensive, the more carnauba is used in it. So, I'd guess that there must be quite a bit less in the Hellfords stuff.

The leather treatment is different too but, again, I don't know to what extent or how much difference that makes to the results you get.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the info - I think I'd want to quantify the results before spending a lot of money on polish though. If its a "brand" thing forget it but if you really do get a better shine I may reconsider. If I see any really shiny S's at future meets that I go to I'll ask what they use (but at the last meet all of the cars looked pretty similar in terms of the shine from the wax finish - and most of them had been polished the day before [my wife asked them - she thinks we are all sad ]).
Old 04-26-2004, 01:49 AM

I'm sure you'll get a better finish from the "premium" Zymol than the Hellfords stuff - but qualitatively how much better, I don't know. If you're at the more casual end of the car-cleaning spectrum and not willing to invest the hours that some people seem to do, it's entirely possible that the extra cost and elbow grease required by the premium Zymol would mean it's not worth investing in.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:03 AM

If it helps, this is what I do.

Twice a year:-

Wash the car with Fairy liquid
Clay bar the entire car
Clean to Zymol HD Cleanse
Polish with Zymol (small jar that came in the Japon kit from here www.vertar.com)

Weekly the car is washed with Zymol auto bathe

Monthly the car is polished with Zymol Cleaner wax which can be sourced at Halfords.

Many people comment on both the depth on the finish on the car, the smoothness of the paintwork and how it always looks clean.

The above regime keeps the car to a very high standard for an ungaraged daily driver which I'm really happy with and also means I don't spend every weekend washing and polishing it.

Hope that helps
Old 04-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Still nowhere near as good as Zaino

Quick Reply: Waxing: Which one?