UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Waxing: Which one?

Old 04-24-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing: Which one?

Ok so a lot of reading and searching has left me very confused. I have tried MER, Zaino and Auto Glym.

Mer is rubbish.

Zaino didn't give me a great finish on the black because hard water was spotting the car plus there is just so much to do. Too many steps leaving me waxing more on weekends than driving.

Auto Glym worked very well and was easy to apply. Only two steps involved in using this product, Super Resin Polish and then Gloss Protection. All in all it performed well but I never did get that great deep wet shine which I crave.

I am hearing great things about NXT. Anyone tried it here yet and if so what did you think of it? Any pics? Also for those of you who use Zymol what are your thoughts on the results? I am about to order the NXT but before I waste more money need some advice please.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:08 PM

If you keep going through products at this rate you'll be left with candle wax as a last resort!

Old 04-24-2004, 12:33 PM

Buy a bottle of Zymol cleaner wax just to try it out. It is stunning and is about 20% of the full Zymol performance.

You won;t be disappointed
Old 04-24-2004, 12:34 PM

I use Zymol and the Autoglym Gloss Protection stuff (on Blurter's recommendation ), and have been very pleased with the results, as I don't get a chance to wax mine regularly.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Shipley
Buy a bottle of Zymol cleaner wax

Halfords sell it.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:59 PM

Are you guys on about the Zymol blue stuff from hellfords or the real stuff from them. The former I have also used and have in the garage and it left too mcuh powder residue in the cracks spending more time cleaning.

Looks like I have gone through a few products eh? Sorry totally forgot to mention that I had used Zymol too.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:07 PM

IMHO it's horses for courses - the quality of the finish is a function more of the amount of effort you put in rather than the polish itself. The more elbow grease you expend, the better it will look, irrespective of whether you're using Zymol, Zaino, P21S, Meguiars or whatever else.

I've used Zymol up until now and have been pleased with the shine it gave me on my MCB. I accept that it can sometimes create a bit of powder residue, but that's true of any wax-based product.

I found the problem was most evident if you polished when it was hot. I simply worked around that by only polishing when it was cooler or the car wasn't in direct sunlight.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:07 PM

Time to dig out the NXT pic:

I love NXT and think it's ace. Have a look in my photo album for a high res version of this pic
Old 04-24-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
IMHO it's horses for courses - the quality of the finish is a function more of the amount of effort you put in rather than the polish itself. The more elbow grease you expend, the better it will look, irrespective of whether you're using Zymol, Zaino, P21S, Meguiars or whatever else.
Perhaps, but if you're a lazy tw@t like me, there's a big difference in the quality of finish based on a lazy man's approach. Some polishes need lots of effort to get the best finish where others will return an excellent finish with little effort. I suspect that the ones that will give you the very best finish with lots of effort will be beaten hands down by other polishes if if you only spend, say, 30 minutes polishing the car. These are the ones I go for
Old 04-24-2004, 01:13 PM

MT you are right in the statement about elbow grease but I have spent nearly 4 hours washing, cleaning, waxing and polishing the car on days and have come away being less than happy. So new product calls for a trial.

Daern that car looks very nice and shiny. I think there is only one way to test the result and that is to buy some and since it is only

Quick Reply: Waxing: Which one?