UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Warranty issue for roof repair

Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the roof replaced on my MY04 car for exactly the same reason.
My local dealer fitted the roof it took them forever but they did a good job.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you still within 30 days of purchase? under the approved used honda scheme you can hand the car back and either get a refund or a car of the same value. might be worth thinking about to avoid all this hassle.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM

Was it bought on Finance? If so, they might be interested to hear...? I had a few probs with my Celica when I bought it from Toyota Dealership - both the dealership and Toyota UK weren't interested until I got the Finance company involved - at which point they couldn't do enough for me....
Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Hi, I did consider putting a paragraph in the letter i'm going to send re the sales of goods act but I've removed it now - I think at this point it would only aggravate the situation and until I need to seek legal advice I will not be taking that route. I will call the seller dealership tomorrow and post what the outcome is.

I bought the car without finance so I won't be able to get them to fight my corner and I have owned the car 2 months so the 30 day period has expired as I was expecting the repair to have been completed by now...

Thanks for the replies and the help I just hope this can be resolved as quickly and as easily as possible...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Just another thing, if Honda have already agreed to repair the item under warranty (and acknowledged there was a fault present at the time of sale) then surely they have already committed themselves liable for the work and, as such, if a satisfactory repair cannot be performed they should then replace the roof?

Just thinking out loud but this seems fairly logical to me...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Davey_2,Dec 19 2006, 06:39 AM
What would interest me is if the said Act applies to the whole car being purchased and being fit for porpose.... which it clearly is or a particular component on the car being fit for purpose in which case there are thousands of components on a car that could fail if the Act was applied to each individual component.
I would say non watertight was grounds for not fit for purpose

in the same way as it is for houses.

This is not like squeaky suspension or something that spoils the enjoyment of the car.

It is an intrinsic function that the cabin must be water tight
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM

For clarification.

I would say having a hole in the roof is not durable or free from defects

Also note that if purchased within six months the onus is on the vendor to prove the goods were satisfactory at time of sale.

They should bloody well grow up and fix the thing, it is a silly way for a dealer to behave, and the minute they start trying to squirm around things like the sale of goods act they are wrong both legally and morally.

[QUOTE]Q1. I have just bought a new/second-hand car and am unhappy with it, what are my rights?
Under sale of goods legislation (Sale of Goods Act 1979) consumers are entitled to expect that any goods they buy are of satisfactory quality. That is, that the goods meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory taking into account the way they are described, their price, and any other relevant circumstances, such as the fact that they are second-hand or used.

Matters which should be considered in assessing whether goods are of a satisfactory quality are:

Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Oh and I agree with Davey to a certain extent
Don't bandy about the sale of goods act unless you have actually read it.

In your case I would simply say that I expect the defect to fixed in a timley manner or a refund for the car. And if that met resistance I would then point out that they were obliged to do so.

I would then say I'm not unreasonable and I really hope we can come to a fair and equitable solution, but that doesn't mean I will be messed around. Then discuss the best way forward.

I truly beleive these things are better done face to face. Everytime I have insisted on a face to face meeting, by the time I have arrived the problem has already been fixed, or the repair arranged, and the meeting is then to discuss how pleased I am with the response and how happy I am that someone has taken responsibility for the issue and moved it forward.

People generally don't like confrontation, especially face to face. I've NEVER had to raise my voice in these situations.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:28 PM

thanks for your responses i'll post to let you know how things go tomorrow. I just wish the dealer was more local, however, I got such a good deal on the car (
Old 12-19-2006, 04:30 PM

ps i'm working through the sales of goods act right now but I will only take this route after exhausting a more amicable solution

Quick Reply: Warranty issue for roof repair