UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wandering under braking

Old 02-06-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wandering under braking

Just been for a 20 mile round Derwent Resevoir making the most of the sunshine.

I had to brake pretty hard at one point as the road surface was looking pretty uneven and there was a truck coming the other way. I must have applied the brakes on an uneven camber as they started to pull me towards the centre of the road nothing a bit of light counter steering couldn't sort out but a little scary at the time. Anyone else find this on poorly surfaced roads?

Still getting used to how quick the steering is on these cars, and I'm consistently amazed by how good the brakes are and how much I have to use them as I can't resist a bit of even on the shortest straights
Old 02-06-2004, 06:49 AM

Hmmmmm.

I think that its more that your arms kinda lock up and your body expects an impact. So your braking / gear changes or indeed steering will become 'erratic'.

If you try doing the same speed on the same stretch of road and hammer on the brakes without the truck then see if it happens !
Old 02-06-2004, 06:51 AM

I did try and do a few emergency stops to check that the discs were ok and not pulling to either side, they were fine. This car has seriously good brakes. So much so that the speedo is still trying to lose speed a good few seconds after you've stopped
Old 02-06-2004, 06:53 AM
GSi

I think it's inevitable that on anything other than a perfect piece of tarmac, you will wander a little under heavy braking. The laws of physics mean that one wheel is bound to have a bit more grip than another.

Shouldn't worry about it. If you are then find some empty road, with some half decent tarmac, check there is no-one behind you and go for an emergency stop.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your air pressure on each tire? Unequal air pressure might have the car tracking in ruts in a non-balanced manner.

Otherwise, the true camber settings (and I understand European alignment is even more aggressive than here in the States) of your S2000 could have you "tracking to the road's ruts" more violently perhaps.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:54 AM
GSi

so you've tried that ... Ignore the second paragraph then
Old 02-06-2004, 06:55 AM

yes...had this under heavy braking at Keevil...
Old 02-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Air pressure checked before take off, I knew it was going to be a quick drive before I left the house
Old 02-06-2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Air pressure checked before take off, I knew it was going to be a quick drive before I left the house
Try finding best flat dry tarmac and at a moderate speed say 50 Mph let go of steering wheel and don't brake. Does it wonder a bit?. Then brake gently and more progressively with your hands still off the wheel, and finish with an abrupt application of the brakes.
I doubt very much that you have anything wrong with your motor, it happens to me alot on the motorway in lane one,( you know the one with two rivers the HGV's have made). Happy , Phil.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 AM

Neil

This happens to me a lot in excatly the kind of conditions you have described. Poor road surfaces with undulation tend to steer the car for me under very hard braking. I can only contribute this to the abs working and the tyres gripping at different levels on the road.

Quick Reply: Wandering under braking