UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Vibration in 3rd

Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vibration in 3rd

For months now I've been battling with a vibration at the rear, and thought I'd beaten in too, so any advice would be very much appreciated here..

Symptoms
Vibration, when under load in the vtec. But only really noticible in 3rd gear.

I left the car with TGM a few weeks back, and the best guess was damage to either wheel or tyre. This rang true as s year or so ago, I had a similar vibration which was indeed cured by replacing the rear wheels.
But confirm this, Tom put another set of rear wheels he had on the car, and said there was marked improvement.

I then went away, sourced a set of wheels and tyres, and put them on yesterday. This has made no difference to vibration. Again, there is nothing discernible through first and second, even when pressing on, then hit the vtec in third and it starts to shudder. Easing off the gas, but maintaining the same road speed, and the vibration dies away, which suggests to me it isn't a prob in the wheels or tyres, as its only under heavy load.

More curious still, is that continue on and 4th doesn't present anything like the same vibration.

I'm at a loss. Could there be something wrong with the gear itself!??
Old 02-11-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

warped disc?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:55 AM

Seems unlikely that would be most prominent under load in 3rd?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does seem strange but could just be apparant most at that speed, worth a try if you've got a spare set of discs knocking around. I know when i had a wheel loose on the back it was more obvious at one speed...went faster and it'd stop. could also be a sticky rear caliper.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Bray
For months now I've been battling with a vibration at the rear, and thought I'd beaten in too, so any advice would be very much appreciated here..

Symptoms

I left the car with TGM a few weeks back, and the best guess was damage to either wheel or tyre. This rang true as s year or so ago, I had a similar vibration which was indeed cured by replacing the rear wheels.
But confirm this, Tom put another set of rear wheels he had on the car, and said there was marked improvement.

I then went away, sourced a set of wheels and tyres, and put them on yesterday. This has made no difference to vibration. Again, there is nothing discernible through first and second, even when pressing on, then hit the vtec in third and it starts to shudder. Easing off the gas, but maintaining the same road speed, and the vibration dies away, which suggests to me it isn't a prob in the wheels or tyres, as its only under heavy load.

More curious still, is that continue on and 4th doesn't present anything like the same vibration.

Check out the threads on driveshaft cup induced vibration.

Mine felt like yours under heavy acceleration, especially at higher speeds (i.e. 3rd gear Vtec)
The vibration went from 'hardly noticeable' to almost undriveable within a couple of months.

Swapped inner cups from side to side which usually cures the problem (search for threads on CV cups) to no avail, but eventually traced it to outer off-side CV wear.
New shaft fitted and puurrrfect again!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your car lowered and / or extreme neg rear camber?

CV cup damage can be as a result of lowering, thus driving the cups on a different area of the 'cloverleaf' spline.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by lifecrisis
Originally Posted by S2Bray' timestamp='1423642483' post='23501912

Symptoms

Check out the threads on driveshaft cup induced vibration.

Mine felt like yours under heavy acceleration, especially at higher speeds (i.e. 3rd gear Vtec)
The vibration went from 'hardly noticeable' to almost undriveable within a couple of months.

Swapped inner cups from side to side which usually cures the problem (search for threads on CV cups) to no avail, but eventually traced it to outer off-side CV wear.
New shaft fitted and puurrrfect again!
Thanks for this. I've read around driveshaft cups/wear/swapping, but I'm inclined ot think that isn't my problem as I'd expect that to present vibration through all gears.
Also interestingly, is that 4th gear doesn't show the symptoms either, either at 3rd gear vtec pace or in the vtec itself. Its been a while since I've been in the vtec in 5th to know if that pattern continues..

I'm guess fitting new a shaft (drive? tail? prop? ) carried a not insifnificant cost..
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 AM

Not lowered, standard suspension/geometry