UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Veilside V1 bootlip spoiler fitting problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 AM
PJD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Veilside V1 bootlip spoiler fitting problem.

I gave the V1 spoiler to a small bodyshop to spray which they've done. I then gave them my car today for them to fit. They guy said that there is such a gap between the car & the spoiler that he is not happy to fit it for me using siklo-flex.

He said that because there is such a 'bow', he would be frightened that it would come off going down a motorway etc.

So he's basically going to give me me the spoiler back and not charge me for spraying it, and said that I'll have to get someone else to fit it somehow.

How has everyone else had this spoiler fitted? The bloke said briefly on the phone that he guesses that it'll need to fitted with a couple of bolts, but he is unhappy to do that.

I don't mind drilling into the boot, - is drilling into the boot and then drilling into the spoiler that much of a difficult job, - i'm not sure why this bloke has turned me away.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJD,Sep 30 2008, 01:08 PM
I gave the V1 spoiler to a small bodyshop to spray which they've done. I then gave them my car today for them to fit. They guy said that there is such a gap between the car & the spoiler that he is not happy to fit it for me using siklo-flex.

He said that because there is such a 'bow', he would be frightened that it would come off going down a motorway etc.

So he's basically going to give me me the spoiler back and not charge me for spraying it, and said that I'll have to get someone else to fit it somehow.

How has everyone else had this spoiler fitted? The bloke said briefly on the phone that he guesses that it'll need to fitted with a couple of bolts, but he is unhappy to do that.

I don't mind drilling into the boot, - is drilling into the boot and then drilling into the spoiler that much of a difficult job, - i'm not sure why this bloke has turned me away.
Sounds to me like he may of baked the paint too high in the oven and the spoiler has distorted, that sometimes happens to plastics.

Drilling the boot lid is the only real way of getting the thing to straighten up again IMO.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
PJD

Thanks mate.

Why do you think he didnt want to continue with the job and drill?

I'm picking my car up tonight and will of course speak to him in further detail, - but if I can pick up any additional information from you beforehand to put to him, all the better.

Else I guess I'll have to find someone to fit/drill it - at least the spoiler is sprayed now!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Could you make a false boot lid/table top, drill it to that to straighten it out then once its taken out the bend fix it to the car??

Just an idea!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by PJD,Sep 30 2008, 06:09 AM
Why do you think he didnt want to continue with the job and drill?
That way he can excuse himself of any fault.

No admission of distorting the spoiler.
No liability for the spoiler coming off
Not prepared to fix it as its not meant to fix that way.

Hey did you test fix it before you sent in off for paint??

He must be feeling bad for something as he didnt charge you. Think of the lab and paint cost he incurred. Something fishy?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
PJD

Well, I personally couldn't make a test table - but thanks for the suggestion.

Well when I gave him the spoiler he placed it on my bootlid and took a very good look at it. He said that he'll stiklo-flex it on.

I was suprised when he rang when he said that he couldnt now fit it, as I'm thinking to myself that he must have seen the bow before he accepted the spoiler to be sprayed.

Yes - he had to order the paint in especially for this job. I can only think composite is right about him distorting the spoiler. I will have a look tonight at how much it does bow and compare it to my memory of of when i placed it on my bootlid....

Going forward - is it an easy job for another garage to do - ie drill it on?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM

Trouble starts if its bowed that much when the other garage fix it it could crack!! then you will be getting it sprayed again.

Id get him to fix it and save distorting the line of responcibility. If he fixes and cracks it he repaints it.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
PJD

Yes - good point.

I'll see later how bad this bow is.

I can imagine that he's going to deny distorting it. Or, he'll blame the part saying "its not a genuine honda part" - if it was genuine this would never have happened.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:48 AM

Well you could alway quote him that at first look he said it could be fixed with tape and now he doesnt think is possible.

Whether or not the part is more susseptable to distorsion is beyond me.

I think Mikey K has one fitted to his car. He should shed a bit of light on the matter for you.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 AM

Other people on here have used 3M high bond tape to fix it to the boot, with no need for someone in a bodyshop to help. That's how easy it should be!

I think it's clear that he's caused the spoiler to warp. How can he claim it will fit with Sikaflex then deny it after painting it?? Sounds like this guy's been careless with it and doesn't want to own up. Cheeky fecker!

Quick Reply: Veilside V1 bootlip spoiler fitting problem.