UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VED changes

Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJ1,Mar 12 2008, 08:01 AM
Would be much more fair if they hiked up the price of petrol/diesel and did road toll's. Why sould people that only drive 2-3k miles a year be stung as much as those that do 20-30k a year ??

I agree with most of the polluter pays policies but not like this, its not equally proportioned.
Here here - fully agree.

If Darling was trully environmentally motivated he would have put the tax on fuel (not that I want to pay more,) makng it proportional.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Yep, scrap road tax and put it on fuel would:

A - be logical
B - make people who use more fuel pay more tax
C - Be too obvious to a bunch of ****s

People with low Co2/high mpg cars would be rewarded by spending less on fuel than people with high c02 car
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k,Mar 12 2008, 07:26 PM
one word:

****s.

I can see a massive drop in value in high CO2 cars now.
funny that , I started a thread saying just that a few months ago when I read an article about this topic and lots of people just said if you cant afford a few hundred squids for tax then you cant afford a S.
The replies here say a lot about what people really think now they have been hit in the pocket. Its bound to have an effect now on second hand prices and make potential buyers think twice .
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM

This price increase WILL affect the price of these cars used, the people are going to take the hit are the people that currently own the cars.

I predict that this increase has reduced the price of my car by around 600-700 quid as of today.

Anyone who buys these cars will now have to factor in the new road pricing in the price of the car.

The only people to loose out are us as current owners.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how the dealers/manufacturers will react.
Costs almost as much to make a small car as a big'un, so the sales of big cars subsidise the small.
I reckon we will see small car price rises and an attempt to 'add value'.

I wonder which high Co2 cars will disappear from the price lists first.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TINTOP,Mar 12 2008, 07:42 PM
funny that , I started a thread saying just that a few months ago when I read an article about this topic and lots of people just said if you cant afford a few hundred squids for tax then you cant afford a S.
The replies here say a lot about what people really think now they have been hit in the pocket. Its bound to have an effect now on second hand prices and make potential buyers think twice .

It may help residuals you never know!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

OEMs are going to be 'taxed' massively on their average CO2 emissions when Euro 5 comes in.

I think the average needs to be under 120g/km or somethign silly. A lot of OEMs, especially the french ones will have little trouble.

You know also know why Porsche want VAG and Fiat got with Ferrari
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Rew

IMO I think it is a disgrace. Sure if they need to put the tax up do so on new cars so people can make a well thought out decission. Those who already own the car could be hit with depreciation and may not be able to justify the extra cash for the new tax price hitting the pockets.

Bit gutted as mine was new at the end of March 2006, one week older and it would have been cheaper tax. Pretty sure a week older car is not more friendly to the environment. Shame as I only do around 3000 miles a year (every day car too). Will enjoy the car for the summer and hope the prices don't get too much of a beating as I am getting shut. Can't justify the expense with the lack of use . I guess this is what the government wants
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider this; in France they scrapped road tax and put the cost on fuel sales a couple of years back - and their fuel is still cheaper than ours
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Rew

Originally Posted by mikey k,Mar 12 2008, 07:58 PM

It may help residuals you never know!
True Mikey. Will hit the new car market even more so less units sold. Could make the car more rare and desirable. Also make them more of a status for the people who can afford them.

Quick Reply: VED changes