UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Vectra 1-0 S2000

Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you did declare the mod to your insurance co., they may not cover it.

Will the exhaust tip bend back?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is she worth humping?

Give your car a wash, check the bumper damage, get some moles grip with rubber over the jaws and try straightening the pipe.

difficult scenario, but at least she owned up...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jun 28 2007, 08:01 AM

Fair point. Very few firms seem to cover like for like replacement of aftermarket parts.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Exhuast is going to be expensive, doubt it will repair
No plate holder is easy DIY job.
I'd do a deal with her for a new plate holder and a new exhaust.
Try a repair on the exhaust and offset the costs by selling it.
Time under the car ~1.5 hours, cost ~
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM,Jun 28 2007, 07:44 AM
What exhaust is it?
Amuse Dual. JMP was part of the GB Fletch organised back in 2004.

Commiserations Jonathan. Hope it gets sorted soon with a minimum of stress.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Straightening the exhaust tip is one thing, but what's it done to the welds, etc? Brittle buggers, those fart cans.

I know that honesty ought to be rewarded, but it's gonna be expensive.

You could hump her anyway, I suppose!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:54 AM

I think you are obliged to tell your own insurance of any incident but claim through hers

The big issue you may have is it looks like you are parked in a turning point? If so avoid telling the insurance this as they will look for any escape of paying.

The exhaust would repair using a cone - tool and the surround will go again if insurance fails.

L6
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 AM

Someone drove my wifes car a few years ago (not her S2000) and they decided not to take it through the insurance companies. My wife, wanting to do everything by the book, phone the insurance company and explained what had happened and told her they were going to deal with it outside of the insurance.

The insurance company put her no claims on hold for 3 years as the other person that hit her could still make a claim against her in these 3 years !!! We eventually got this removed by asking the insurance company so many times to remove it that they sent 3 consecutive letters to the taxi driver who hit her asking him to admit fault or claim that in the end they agreed that he wasnt going to claim and removed the NCD block.

Thats what you get for playing things by the book, I wouldnt recommend telling the insurance company anything unless your actually going to claim.

On another occasion, she drove into the back of someone, she was a little shaken and when the tow man came to remove the car she said, right im off to the pub now to calm my nerves. He recommended she didnt as the poilce could turn up at our house tonight and do an alcohol test..... so she took herself to the police station on the way to the pub, told them what happened and asked if they could do the tests no so she could go to the pub. They said they were not intrested in doing a test but might do her for "driving without due care and attention". She spent 1.5 hours in the poilce station been questioned before they realised her with no charge.

The moral of the story, dont do things by the book, it only causes you more hassel in the end.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:20 AM

3 years ago my Cooper S rolled on a hill and was damaged when it parked itself into the back of the range rover parked in front.

BMW claimed manaufacturing fault and held all responsibility for the accident / repair and also paid to repair the range rover.

I did inform Adrian Flux as I like to go by the book and after they received written responsibilty from BMW (for any potential future claims relating to the incident as well) Adrian Flux have noted a "no blame" incident on my insurance record. It never affected my premiums / NCD but does show on the bottom of my NCD certificate..

hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 AM
JMP

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jun 28 2007, 08:01 AM

The exhaust is declared on my policy. I am sure my policy says they will only replace with stock, but its not my insurance company that should be sorting this out, so I would hope it could be repaired properly.

I'd imagine the titanium would be pretty difficult to bend back into the right shape, and as Nick says what other damage may have been done to the welds elsewhere?

I don't think this girl could afford to repair, let alone pay for another Amuse.

As for the turning point comment - I had thought of this too....

:stillcontemplating:

Quick Reply: Vectra 1-0 S2000