UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

used grease but still leaking!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You may need to replace the seals - I had to replace one of mine.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Nick said apply like a whore with the grease. It seems they dry out shrinking in the process. The grease helps them swell up to their former size but it needs to be applied frequently. The manual suggest once every three months.

Dont forget to do your other rubber seal around the door boot and bonnet too
Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a real problem now.

Not only does my seals leak in but...

I have noticed water collects at the top of the inside of the roof, and theres always condensation on the inside windows.

Its just gone from bad to worse. I dont know what to do but i guess there must be water getting in somewhere.

Really hacked off now
Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 AM

My view was water must be collecting in the rail (I tried squeezing the seal itself after heavy rain and no water came out so didn't seem to be collecting there. I then blocked the rail with some foam which I also covered in shinetzu for good measure. This seemed to sort the problem for a while though it still bizarrely comes back from time to time. I must admit that I've never actually felt any water in the rail so don't consider i've solved the problem, though doing the above did seem to improve the situation.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverDreamRacer,Dec 4 2007, 12:43 PM
My view was water must be collecting in the rail (I tried squeezing the seal itself after heavy rain and no water came out so didn't seem to be collecting there. I then blocked the rail with some foam which I also covered in shinetzu for good measure. This seemed to sort the problem for a while though it still bizarrely comes back from time to time. I must admit that I've never actually felt any water in the rail so don't consider i've solved the problem, though doing the above did seem to improve the situation.
I have water collectinjg in the seals inside, just had a look its collecting in there!

It leaks where the 2 top seals join and in the corners (the seals dont seem that horizontally flush either).

As i say i have tried to lubing up.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=s2kjdm,Nov 29 2007, 09:06 AM]I had water coming through the corner of the window seal changed the seals & striker plates. Its made the world of differnce to wind noise & should cure the water leak. Its worth a shot. Strikers are
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

So any solutions to this?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 AM

After a heavy rain, get a friend to take down the roof while you stand and watch the seals start to fold at the join. I'll bet you see the water pouring out the rail and not the seal.

I think the water is coming in from the join at the roof and resting in the rails and not the actual seals.

I did this last time and a river poured out!!

Haven't had time to fix it yet.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Russellhg is right
This explanation will be challenging without pics but here goes...

Open the roof 50%

Face the back of the car and stand next to the passenger door

look at the part of the join that is half way along the top of the window when the roof is closed - you can identify the bit i mean as it has the head of a screw just visible under some sealing

this seal is (in my case) the problem - when the window is shut, a small fold in the soft rubber seal (visible top on window from the outside) channels water to drain from the roof into the rail

I discovered this by maticulously comparing the (non leaking) drivers side seals (50% open) with the passengers

The seal i am describing was present on the drivers side, but it was basically down to the (hatched) metal on the passengers

I think that a small 2p sized piece of 1/2mm rubber glued to the offending part will fix this

i am 99% sure this is the problem!
hope this helps!

Quick Reply: used grease but still leaking!