UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

used grease but still leaking!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this a couple of years ago. It was coming in the passenger side from where the glass meets the rubber.

I cleaned the top of the glass with vinegar (Old maid's tip before windowlene was invented).

Its never returned.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2,Nov 29 2007, 05:37 AM
where is the leak? front 'corner' of the window?
no comes from both sides the were the seal splits in the middle and from the passanger side were it splits at the back corner.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aldfort,Nov 29 2007, 06:09 AM
Yes the window positions can be adjusted. There are full details in the WSM and I think it might be in the FAQ as well or in the shoptalk thread on the main forum.

Nottm is refering (I think) to the fact that the seal is complex in this area and has an insert which will allow leakage if it has moved or if the drain channel in the A pillar seal is blocked up - but you checked that right?

Also loose hood clips can allow water to get in around the top of the A pillar. Again there is a fix described in the FAQ I think, which invloves either swaping the clips side to side or putting a little bush on them made from ruber tube to tighen them up. If your clips rattle it's a sign they might not be tight enough.
yes have checked the channels and also already put the rubber tubing on the clips, really went mental with the grease but still leaking, will try adjusting the windows next step i guess, but would this help considering the leak is coming from the splits???

if not will just have to bite the bullet and get new seals !!!

cheers

JM
Old 11-30-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamzee500,Nov 29 2007, 09:54 PM
yes have checked the channels and also already put the rubber tubing on the clips, really went mental with the grease but still leaking, will try adjusting the windows next step i guess, but would this help considering the leak is coming from the splits???

cheers

JM
I have started having this bloody problem too now

I have done exactly the same as you we no joy
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 AM

Just remember if your were running a TVR this would be completely normal. It even tells you it will happen in the owners manual!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:27 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

yeah but a v8, that noise and 0-60 in about 4s would make up for it..

well for me anyway. i'd just get n0bbed off if it broke down
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jamzee500,Nov 29 2007, 10:54 PM

cheers

JM
My MY02 has developped the same problem on the passenger side. So now I carry a towel, just in case, to absorb the water that spills when I set off.

Shin Etsu has been applied religiously every 6 months in our ownership (since Aug 07). The channels have been cleared and it has improved things somewhat. Alan Day Honda suggested I replace de seals at a cost of
Old 11-30-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Holt's silicone & rubber lubricant's always worked for me.

You need to keep at it, though.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by aldfort,Nov 29 2007, 06:09 AM
Nottm is refering (I think) to the fact that the seal is complex in this area and has an insert which will allow leakage if it has moved or if the drain channel in the A pillar seal is blocked up - but you checked that right?
Where are the details for doing this and what is the WSM?

Originally Posted by Shopman,Nov 29 2007, 11:59 AM
There are some pages in the workshop manual that describe how to adjust the door glass.

If anyone is interested I can post up the sheets from the manual.
That would be really useful thanks!

BTW, surely there should be some information in the FAQ about leaking roofs other than just greasing? I've been greasing like a whore and my hood still has a slight leak if I leave it overnight rather like the OP's where the water gets into the seals and runs along the inside coming out at the half-way split or at the front (although mine is only on the passenger side).
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

"...greasing like a whore..."

It's to do with the two halves of the seal not sitting together right in the middle, possibly because the window's stopping too high, or because they need fiddling.

It's sort of impossible to describe; you just have to irritate them.

Quick Reply: used grease but still leaking!