UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Use of Spare Tire?

Old 07-17-2002, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of Spare Tire?

I was just wondering whether the average S2000 owner carries his/her spare in the boot. I've been tempted to leave it at home and substitute it for a can of one of those tire repair foams. Are they effective in getting you home in event of a puncture? Anybody with first hand experience?

TBC
Old 07-17-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a can of that stuff AND the spare tyre

I too have debated dumping the spare (on the basis that if I have a passenger, and stuff in the boot, and I have to change the wheel, I have nowhere to put the flat anyway!) But I still haven't done it. I'll be interested to see what the response is, Isabelle

Pete

PS
Are you from the other side of the Pond?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896
...on the basis that if I have a passenger, and stuff in the boot, and I have to change the wheel, I have nowhere to put the flat anyway!
In theory there is a spot in the trunk (boot) for the flat assuming you put the stuff you have there into the spot vacated by the spare.

The can of fix-it has two downsides.. it is only effective 90% of the time (there are some punctures it just won't seal, and/or won't hold for long)... and it makes a mess of the wheel and tire to the point some tire shops will not fool with the repair.

I keep my spare but can see the temptation to reclaim the space and reduce weight.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:00 PM

PS
Are you from the other side of the Pond?
lol, picky picky I'm sure she isn't, after all we are talking about a boot not a trunk

FWIW Isabelle, I have 2 cans of foam in leu of the spare. I think 2 cans might be prudent as I believe the cans struggle to re-inflate wide tyres such as the S2000's rears My thinking was that the spare can only be run at 55 mph or so and I think tyre-foamed tyres are the same but without getting covered in mud/rain etc. messing about. Not forgetting the nightmare of having to swap front tyre to the rear if you have a rear puncture

Foam for me everytime! (or the AA )

Tif
Old 07-17-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Tifosi Red
lol, picky picky I'm sure she isn't, after all we are talking about a boot not a trunk Tif
No, I wasn't being picky - just curious (or nosey ) I find it easy to change and adopt the different terms when I'm in the States (hood for bonnet, trunk for boot, flashlight for torch, elevator for lift and so on) but it's hard to lose a lifetime of spelling. My daughter has been living in Dallas for a year and she finds the same... uses all the right words but still writes 'centre' instead of 'center', 'aluminium' instead of 'aluminum', and 'tyre' instaed of 'tire'. So I guessed (probably wrongly) that Isabelle was American or Canadian and was living and working here - is all
Old 07-17-2002, 01:42 PM

Wish I'd got the balls to dump the spare and risk the foam cans.

Is everyone aware that to put the flat tyre in the boot you remove the toolkit moulding from the bottom of the boot. The wheel then fits upright in the boot and the lid will close. Loads of people have complained about having to put the flat tyre on the passenger seat.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:48 PM

To be fair though the decision was kind of forced upon me, I'd have liked to keep the spare in case of a catastrophic tyre failure but the stereo kit precludes that option It sounds nice but there were times in the high Pyrenees when the lack of a spare was on my mind....

PS Pete, I reckon the spell checker has to take some blame for the Americanisms that pop up from time to time too!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Is everyone aware that to put the flat tyre in the boot you remove the toolkit moulding from the bottom of the boot. The wheel then fits upright in the boot and the lid will close.
I didn't know that. But I do now

Is that learned from experience Tonky, or should I have RTFM?
Old 07-17-2002, 02:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]I have a can of that stuff AND the spare tyre
Old 07-17-2002, 03:28 PM

I didn't know that. But I do now

Is that learned from experience Tonky, or should I have RTFM?
The latter fortunately. I musta bin bored!

Quick Reply: Use of Spare Tire?