UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Urgent help please

Old 10-23-2004, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, have you tried changing the fob battery?

This happened to my 02 about a year ago. The battery was strong enough to unlock the car, but not to activate the immobiliser - I could get into the car, but couldn't start it.

Try this first if you've not done it already.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long shot I know but have you tried using a different key? Somebody I know had a similar problem on a Vauxhall - the AA man asked for the spare key (which my friend's partner had in her handbag) and made us all look pretty stupid when this started the car first time. Turns out it was a faulty transponder within the key itself.

It may not work for you but its got to be worth a try.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There has been a few occasions when I have tried to start the car and it doesn't fire up first time and if I keep trying the start button a few times it will not start.

I have to remove the key from the ignition, wait a couple of minutes and try again ..... and it has always fired up.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:04 AM

Unfortunately tried the spare key nad spare fob, I suppose it is possible that both batteries are on there way out at the same time. Will buy some later after work to try that.
In the past the car has self immobilized within a few minutes of not starting and when the fob is pressed a light goes out (or comes on, I can't bloody remember which) but that light is not on at all. That's why I think it's the immobilizer. Big hammer maybe..

Marc
Old 10-23-2004, 02:11 AM

Hopefully that'll work Steven, the S is waiting at home but don't finish work 'til 4 today so a few hours before I can try.
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone, the help and comments are much appreciated

Marc
Old 10-23-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc r,Oct 23 2004, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately tried the spare key nad spare fob, I suppose it is possible that both batteries are on there way out at the same time. Will buy some later after work to try that.
In the past the car has self immobilized within a few minutes of not starting and when the fob is pressed a light goes out (or comes on, I can't bloody remember which) but that light is not on at all. That's why I think it's the immobilizer. Big hammer maybe..

Marc
Bad luck (I don't think the keys have batteries in them though, just the fob). Talking about the AA earlier have you tried calling them out (or, if you're not a member, get a friend who is to call them "you're the member not the car"). They may be able to at least diagnose the fault for you.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:14 AM

Is your car battery fully charged? I had a problem similar to yours after I had left it for a few weeks. There was enough charge in the battery for central locking to activate and to turn the starter motor a couple of times, but not enough for it to catch. Fixed with a jump start.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

This happened to AE.

I think he had to have the car taken to the dealer.

Immobiliser IIRC.

Might be worth searching about a year back.

If none of the other tips work, you might try disconnecting the battery for five minutes or so before trying again.

Good luck .
Old 10-23-2004, 02:34 AM

I have aa membership, just not home start dolt! . As soon as I get home will check the battery voltage, after reading search I did see someone had that as a problem. Electricals are such a pain in the arse to diagnose, at least if the exhaust falls off you can put it back on, job done. I will try all of the tips tonight and post from home whether the S has started or taken to bits
Old 10-23-2004, 10:44 AM

Got home tonight hoping the car would just fire up but still nothing. Haven't had a chance to change the fob batteries but will do that after work tomorrow. I will also check the battery voltage in the morning and probably add home start to my aa so at least they can come and prod about if I have no luck. Thanks again for all the advice today.

Cheers

Marc

Quick Reply: Urgent help please