UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

urgent help needed please!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't agree on the knock sensor. All it would do is completely retard the timing, and that would not cause the engine to sound like a bag of bolts.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Nov 17 2010, 11:56 AM
Don't agree on the knock sensor. All it would do is completely retard the timing, and that would not cause the engine to sound like a bag of bolts.

Sounds more terminal from the video you posted i'm sorry to say .
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its definitely a serious engine problem im sorry to say.

Im hoping for your sake that there is no exhaust smoke, as that would most probably indicate ring/liner damage.

If no smoke its a good chance of bearing damage, the cheaper repair. In that case you really dont want to run the engine anymore as it may fail completely.

I lot of people see it more economically viable to simply replace the engine than to pull one apart and rebuild. In reality the tolerances on these engine are tight and a factory assembled engine may prove to have a increased longevity.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just phoned a few poeple at lunch and it's getting stripped Monday

Rough rebuild price quotes was about £1k so it's now turning out to be a bloody expensive s2k
Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gbduo,Nov 16 2010, 09:54 PM] I'll be honest, that sounds more like it is coming from the top of the engine than the bottom, but it is hard to tell from the video.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx,Nov 17 2010, 02:44 PM
i agree - sounds like top end.

almost like either timing is out (timing chain replaced and incorrectly timed), or valve clearance. ofcourse, thats going soly off the videos.

i'd be tempted to say dropped/loose valve(s) (valve retainers broken?) thats JUST catching the piston.

first thing i'd do is remove cam cover and check out timing marks all line up. then checkout the valve retainers look fine (do a forum search - theres a guide on checking them).
valve clearances if they are too tight may cause valve>piston contact. too loose and ime you'd get a ticking noise at idle.

crank is usually a thudding noise or i'd expect constant sound. this sounds more metallic like contact as it's more of a 'ticking' noise.

Im with this guy

That sounds like its in the head to me, very like valvetrain becuase its there all the time.

If you had a big end banging, its normally a LOT more obvious when you throttle off.
On load you often won't really hear it in the early stages.
Plus a shot bearing making that much noise normally loses you a fair bit of oil pressure so I would expect to see the light on at idle.
Yes, it might be a small end, but that won't lose you much power.
In fact a knocking big or main won't really lose you a lot of power initially either.

So why not pop that rocker cover off and turn the engine by hand?
It could be a bent or dropped valave, that will bang and lose power.
How are the spark plugs looking?

It's low frequency - so its one cylinder and on one part of the stroke IMO.
Valves.

Hopefully!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 AM

Did the sound change from cold to hot?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy a new engine, an engine is an engine but rislars bro had no luck rebuilding the engine and rehoning, the S has FRM liners.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 AM

^^ I totally agree.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing Rob have to do is to get the problem diagnosed by a professional. Then we can tell him our opinions as a best solution to his problem. Everybody is making his own speculations for his problem only having this video and we can confuse him more.

Quick Reply: urgent help needed please!