UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

upgrading the stereo

Old 08-27-2004, 01:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyc,Aug 27 2004, 08:42 AM
It's also worth thinking about making sure that the Alpine HU you choose is going to be iPod controller compatible.

I think as long as they have the fast search buttons you are Ok.
Couldnt give 2 $h1ts about an ipod, dont want or need one. The Alpine plays mp3's and thats fine by me.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Infinity Speakers or JL Audio. Both sound fantastic but depends on your budjet I suppose. I love the look of the Infinity speakers some come in a funky Green or White, depending on what Model/range you go for.

http://www.jlaudio.com

http://www.infinitysystems.com

Rockford fosgate are not to bad but stay clear of the square subs they do, yes they push more air making them LOUD but the sound quality is rubbish

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/
Old 08-27-2004, 02:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ade73,Aug 27 2004, 09:25 AM
Have no plans to upgrade it after that, just want a decent set up.
The alpine has an internal amp if im not wrong and thats plenty for the door speakers and then the sub has its own fitted to the box too, dont want some way over the top boy racer type system.
Depends on what you consider is a "decent" set up and what constitutes "plenty" for the door speakers. The latest Alpine units produce something like 23W RMS so a 50W RMS speaker is not going to be driven to its potential (most, if not all, of the front speakers you will be looking at will have 50 W RMS as a min). Provided that for your style of driving (e.g. not high speed roof down stuff) can accomodate less than 23W RMS per speaker then that's Remember that running the HU at max output is not going to be sonically great.

I didn't upgrade my system to sit at traffic lights and play phatt (is that how they spell it?) tunes, merely to be able to drive at 90 with the roof down and to be able to hear my music strongly above the wind noise. You can't do that with an Alpine HU and stock speakers, you may be able to do so with uprated front speakers, but the limitation will be that HU internal amp.

To be honest I think the best way to gauge is for there to be an audio demo on the Sunday morning of MM1. You can listen to various set ups then. I think StevenM's set up will be a good example of the benefits you can get from a decent HU and a comparatively modest speaker upgrade spend. I am still waiting for a replacement tweeter from the States before I can demo mine
Old 08-27-2004, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by little Chris,Aug 27 2004, 09:33 AM
Try Infinity Speakers or JL Audio. Both sound fantastic but depends on your budjet I suppose. I love the look of the Infinity speakers some come in a funky Green or White, depending on what Model/range you go for.

http://www.jlaudio.com

http://www.infinitysystems.com

Rockford fosgate are not to bad but stay clear of the square subs they do, yes they push more air making them LOUD but the sound quality is rubbish

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/
Rockford dont make square subs, and never have.
Are you thinking of Kicker?

But yes New RF subs are not that great at SQ, there old stuff... well thats a diffrent story.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by X-Ruckus,Aug 27 2004, 10:13 AM
wasn't that a kicker sub installed in the between seat compartment on the Electronics forum
Old 08-27-2004, 02:19 AM

You may want to consider bass shakers as a cheap way of getting some rumble in your seats rather than a sub. Mikey K has them, as do various US owners. Have a quick search.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:25 AM

to be honest I rarely have the stereo on..........VTEC is best
Old 08-27-2004, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Aug 27 2004, 10:25 AM
to be honest I rarely have the stereo on..........VTEC is best
except when sitting on the M6!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supers2k,Aug 27 2004, 08:49 AM
Another good sub to consider is the Panasonic if boot space. Can't remember the model number but IIRC Del ? had one and it fits under the passenger seat.
Panasonic/Blaupunkt BLJ150

I tried one - if you fit it under the seat the speaker cannot move the air and the port is obscured. Wiring loom is a bit crap as well! I ended up with bass shakers in the seat pockets and the interchanger under the seat.

Could put it in the boot!?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by X-Ruckus,Aug 27 2004, 10:13 AM

But yes New RF subs are not that great at SQ, there old stuff... well thats a diffrent story.
Sorry being 'fick' again, yes it was kicker, they really are Shite, no quality to them at all.

Quick Reply: upgrading the stereo