UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Upgrading rear brake pads

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading rear brake pads

Hi guys I've have searched this topic but I still haven't found a decent answer.

I have Dixcel discs and pads on the front of my s2000 but only oem spec on the rears and on track I always wear the rears down so quickly.

I would like to fit the dixcels on the rear too but really cannot justify the price.

Has any one tried EBC redstuff for rear pads! Would they be withstand the heat and last?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got ECB red stuff and grooved disks on my rears but afraid I haven't done any track days with them installed.

When I first installed them I had a sticking calliper and after a spirited drive had smoke coming from the pads. They seemed to have survived this ok.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Killed a set of yellowstuff rears in two trackdays at Knockhill.
Ive got quite aggressive Tarox F2000 disc's on the rear though.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

The reason the rears wear is because the fronts overheat, therefore you inadvertently put more energy through the rears, which overheat more easily because they're smaller. I had the same problem with mine on track. I upgraded to Redstuff (all round) and found a decent improvement in power and longevity. I still managed to get the rears smoking on track a few times, and still got fade, but they didn't crumble to bits like the OEMs. I've since upgraded to Ferodo DS2500 and find them even better. I now get the tyres hot before the brakes fade, even at Donington full circuit, which has a couple of long braking zones.

I also upgraded the front discs to DBA slotted. I've not found them to wear the pads excessively and I've found them to last a lot of miles.

In short, don't upgrade just the rears, do all four. Redstuff are better than OEM, but DS2500 are even better than Redstuff (but more expensive). And it's worth thinking about the discs (mainly front) if you go for a higher friction pad.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM

PS, the other thing to improve the session length of your pads is to get tuition. I was dragging the brakes too softly and for too long. Short, sharp bursts on the brakes and they don't heat up as quickly. I still found anything over 15mins was pushing it with OEM pads though. 20 mins before fade on the Redstuffs and I've done a 30min session with no fade on the DS2500s.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the replys
I have upgraded the fronts to dixcels and they are superb. But the rear pads don't last at all so I was thinking of getting red stuff to compliment the dixcels on the front
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM discs + DS2500 pads are all you need.

With the Dixcels on the front, the rears shouldn't be doing too much anyway.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yellowstuff rears, with ds2500s on the front. Which I think is quite a good setup. I've had the reds before, but the yellows have more initial bite, which probably match your front dixcels better. You really want all four brakes to respond in the same way, otherwise you'll overheat one or the other end, and as Chris says ,what happens on the S is that you overheat the fronts and then absolutely massacre the rears without realising it .

I would buy DS2500 rears, or yellowstuff if you can't.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Ah sorry, obviously skim-read the original post! So now it'll be the Dixcels holding out longer than the OEMs. If you have such high performing pads on the front, you'll want to match them on the rear. I suspect Redstuff won't quite cut it compared to the Dixcels.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM

IMO I would never use EBC stuff again. I had red stuff front and rear on my dc2, even from the word go I felt the pedal feel was as good as custard, after about 6 months the rear pads literally fell in half (the friction surface coming completely away from the main pad platform). I never tracked the car. Safe to say I won't even contemplate EBC again. I switched to Dixcel and never looked back. Now obviously this is all just in my experience.

Quick Reply: Upgrading rear brake pads