UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Update on my SC car

Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Update on my SC car

Haven't been on here for a while just been busy with my new job etc and the S has been ignored really since i got my other car. Thought I'd update as a few folk have been asked.

So bit of a last straw/piece to the puzzle.

I recently upgraded the injectors and put the big lad 2nd smallest pulley you can buy on - the 3.0" one, this 'begins' to overspin the blower so i wouldn't go any smaller and i knew i would probably have an issues with heat, i did. Since its obviously compressing more air and starting to get outside its efficiency range.

To combat this...
*I ran water wetter in the water system - i think its done feck all i just dont believe it even in a cylinder head!
*Re routed the water piping out of the pump to the port nearest the TB - why CT dont do this to begin with i dont know, but it should be better for getting rid of heat.
*Bought a higher powered/flowing bosch pump but careful not to decrease dwell time too much in the rad piping.
*Bought a fiat 900cc radiator quite cheap and seen them used before 32 pound delivered quite a good size overall really and more stealthy looking.
*Drilled and tapped the mouth from the aftercooler made a blanking plate and relocated the IAT sensor so it sits just before the TB - i can confirm heat soaking has vastly reduced but it is a slow reacting sensor the good thing is the readings are not vastly off when not heat soaked, this important because IAT calibration tables in your ECU would need altered.

To cut a long story short I'm getting up high 50's in WOT through the gears, then the temps take a bit to come down. All above the above has helped in far as consistency and stability but the high temps have only been reduced slightly i worked it out and i have a 12% improvement overall - this means the car as it stands has no place on a track. The core inside the aftercooler is too small IMO.

I had toy'd with putting in a FMIC but due to pressure loss it would reduce power quite a lot, but would be better consistency wise. Also toyed with chopping up the AC and putting in a bigger core but space could be an issue. I dont have the time anymore nor accessibility.

The good news the car made 452BHP 290 lb ft torque @ 13.7psi

Oh well.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good work home-boy!

I hope that's not a flywheel figure?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Water injection not meth just water ?????
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently IAT at around 50c isn't something to be worried about,most factory turbo cars run above this after a hard work out.
I was told that 40c is the optimum temp,something to do with fuel vaporisation.
I reckon a pwr chargecooler would be perfect,I even trial fitted my old one before I sold it,and it fitted perfect just above the anti-roll bar.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good going AJ.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Goodman AJ!

Mine is very silmar to yours now. I'll update my thread when she's finished.

I've managed to get my temps down abit further than that 30-40c. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if I see different.

Where are the pictures?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool how did you manage that?
That's a big jump still using stock AC, is this just through one gear?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by steveSC2
Apparently IAT at around 50c isn't something to be worried about,most factory turbo cars run above this after a hard work out.
I was told that 40c is the optimum temp,something to do with fuel vaporisation.
I reckon a pwr chargecooler would be perfect,I even trial fitted my old one before I sold it,and it fitted perfect just above the anti-roll bar.

Sorry to hijack AJ , Steve, Fernando was just finishing packing your turbo yesterday, so you should get the tracking number anytime soon.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Community Organizer

FMIC is the way to go although 50c isn't something to worry about. It is high though for British weather. Cannot imagine that in Greek weather. The only problem with water cooling in the compressor is that it takes a lot of time to low the IAT temperature rather than the FMIC. You will definately loose pressure with FMIC but the lower IAT temperatures will compensate that.

Also i want to hear how E4RTH WORM JIM manage to do that. It will be very intresting since my knowledge for the SC is from a long time ago and something else might came up.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've fitted a larger front mounted radiator from AVT 26"x7"x2" and fitted a larger Bosch pump ( the same as AJ's), wetter than wetter and replumbed it.

Here is where I got the bits from;

www.chargecooler.co.uk

I haven't really done anything different from what everyone does on the FI forum. But I got my gauge working thanks to Matty so monitored the AIT's going from 0- xxxmph runs and it kept between them values.

Quick Reply: Update on my SC car