UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Update on my buzzing deceleration problem

Old 02-02-2002, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my buzzing deceleration problem

I took the car into Slough Honda this morning about the deceleration buzz and was told that this was a common characteristic of all S2000s (despite me giving them a copy of the service bulletin). Hmmm
Old 02-02-2002, 03:33 AM

Sorry, I can't really help you on the buzzing. Yes, the S2000 is noisy and does have various noises because of the close proximity of gearbox, exhaust, etc to the driver. Still, if you feel that the noise is obtrusive or especially loud then your dealer should do something about it. Has the noise changed or got worse, if so I would expect a fault. I didn't know about the clutch problem, until after I had the gearbox changed. They replaced the clutch as well, was far quieter than the original. The noise I had was like someone shaking a tin can full of nails That was over 14,000 miles ago, but now that clutch is sounding noisier. I'm not sure myself if it's a normal noise or not. Maybe we should start a collection of clutch / gearbox sounds?

Your idle problem sounds serious. What has your dealer done to troubleshoot this. It could be a number of things, so I shalln't try to diagnose it remotely. People have reported sensor problems (MAP, SO2, lambda, etc), faulty injectors, loose spark plugs, etc. Mine suffered from an intermittant connection on the engine wiring hardness to the SO2 sensor. This cause an open circuit if I accelarated suddenly in wet conditions. There are detailed troubleshooting tests which your dealer should be following. These detail what remedies to take (which Honda will cover on warranty). This includes replacing the whole engine harness, if all else fails! If they can't / won't attempt to trace the fault, then take it elsewhere! Do they have much experience with the S2000? I think some of the smaller dealers have sold so few that every fault is new to them.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a buzzing, rattling sound like a heat shield rattle that occurs when you decelerate down through 3,500 rpm , then you have a recognised fault, curable under warranty by fitting the -055 clutch. I know, 'cos I've had it done (and a hell of a difference it makes too!)

If this describes your problem, you need to stand up to your dealer. What's his problem anyway? He gets paid by Honda for doing the work!
Old 02-02-2002, 07:54 AM

Yes Pete is quite right, my cars symptoms were as you describe. New 055 clutch plate = cure, and all under warrantee. Insist they correct this, its a recognized fault.

Have not experienced the stall prob, mine occasionally falters if in heavy traffic for some time at idle. The cure seams to be a to lift off them heavy right foot!!!!!
Old 02-02-2002, 11:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]If you have a buzzing, rattling sound like a heat shield rattle that occurs when you decelerate down through 3,500 rpm , then you have a recognised fault, curable under warranty by fitting the -055 clutch. I know, 'cos I've had it done (and a hell of a difference it makes too!)
Old 02-03-2002, 12:00 AM

dont get discouraged by the buzzing sound., its not a big deal, if its not broken, i would not let HOnda touch my tranny.
it will never be as good as new again.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Ewan
I had the clutch replaced quite early on for this reason, and it did make a big difference - but it's not a permanent cure (the problem has come back to some extent, and I can't really be bothered getting them to do anything about it )
There's a myth about this clutch thing. The whole point about the "buzz" is that it was caused by bad design in the clutch assembly; therefore, replacing the clutch plate with a new one didn't cure the problem long term at all (which will be why your noise came back, Ewan)

Only when Honda finally REDESIGNED the plate assembly to take account of this (the 055) did the problem become resolved, and that is a very recent event (hence their latest service bulletin on the matter).
Old 02-03-2002, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by bayarea408
dont get discouraged by the buzzing sound., its not a big deal, if its not broken, i would not let HOnda touch my tranny. it will never be as good as new again.
So, what will you do when the clutch wears out?
Old 02-03-2002, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
So, what will you do when the clutch wears out?
if this was the case and my clutch was to be worn out and needs to be replaced, then i would take the car to the dealership and get it replaced. but until that time comes, it would be unecessary to get it fixed just for the buzzing sound which actually doesnt get that annoying after you get use to it. but for all of you that absolutely want to get rid of that noise, then by all means, take it to the dealership and get it fixed ( more power to you ) but better hope, when it comes back something else doesnt go wrong like i have been hearing from people on the boards i/e: scratched/dented/noise went away but uh. 5k miles later the noise came back. etc..
Old 02-04-2002, 12:36 AM

Thanks for all of your comments guys, I feel reinvigorated!

Wish me luck, Im going in...