UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Uneven wear...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven wear...

First of all Full Geo by WIM was done 5k miles ago.. ive done no track days since.... Tyres are correct Bridgestones, The rears started off life wearing well BUT on checking they seem to have all of a sudden gone ' bald ' on the edge - around 5cm of the tyre.. also the drivers side is far worse than the passenger , there is around 3mm of tread one side but bald as anything the other ! Tyre pressure has been around 32psi and i would not say im that hard on tyres...

New Tyres ordered BUT of course i dont want these wearing badly .. do i just suck it up and go to WIM for another GEO ?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 AM

The normal culprits are tyre pressure or geo, and you’ve check them.
What about a sticky brake calliper on one side? - though this would more likely wear the whole tyre not just the edge.
Or do you spend a lot of time turning right at high speed? (or would it be left?)

One very very basic test for rear camber is to hold a meter long straight rules against the tyres on either side with the ruler held vertical, and then measure the distance between the top of the rules and the car.
This can give an indication if the cambers are very different.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have uneven tyre wear on the fronts, the insides are scrubbed on the edge, but when i looked it up on here people say its normal???
Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rob88,Apr 26 2010, 05:06 PM
The normal culprits are tyre pressure or geo, and you’ve check them.
What about a sticky brake calliper on one side? - though this would more likely wear the whole tyre not just the edge.
Or do you spend a lot of time turning right at high speed? (or would it be left?)

One very very basic test for rear camber is to hold a meter long straight rules against the tyres on either side with the ruler held vertical, and then measure the distance between the top of the rules and the car.
This can give an indication if the cambers are very different.
thanks for this - i dont quite follow though... can you give step by step instructions ! ive got a meter ruler so can have a go , i know front edge wear on the front normal as of course you ' steer ' in to corners BUT nope i prob turn right more than left !
Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
LTB

Tyres wearing badly on the inside or outside edges ?

Also how much negative camber did WiM put on front and rear ?

Did they explain to you the effect that a larger amount of neg camber would have on your tyre wear ?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM

Use the negative camber....corner harder
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a WIM geo set up with a bit of extra camber and 5k miles is about all I expect from rear tyres.

It's a fair trade for the way the car drives though.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM

erm cant remember would have to dig out the results - it was last year ! its the side nearest the side of the car - drivers side , around the first 5 cm are bald ! rest of tyre is on 3mm ish
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not normal.
You might want to look at the damper on that coilover too.
If the car is aligned correctly, then its either a damper or maybe you have a sticking/worn toe control arm.

Camber isnt the biggest cause of massive wear on the shoulders to this degree, but a lot of postitive toe is.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is odd. The inside edge should be most prone to wear.

Get that geo checked again. It only takes one pot hole to mess it up and god knows there's enough of those about

Quick Reply: Uneven wear...