UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyres Again

Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres Again

I,ve just returned from the local tyre fitters after having some RE050A's fitted, reading an earlier thread they used a nylon guard to protect the rims when fitting and they did say the tyre wall on these tyres is very stiff.

Everything looked good and checked the first tyre and it was fine, went to pay the bill and drove home then gave them the once over and found they had fiited an E050MZ to one side and an E050BZ to the other.

Straight back down to see the manager, after I informed him they were different tyres he stated that it is only the compound which is different, after I informed him this was bollocks and if he cared to look the tread pattern he would see why.

He then said it should be S02's fitted to this car, again I told him that check the year of the car and SO2's aren't manufactured any more to my knowledge.

He is now getting one couried up for fitting later today.

Must say a big thanks to the people on this site who have given me an understanding of this car, this type of mistake could easily be missed by some, I hate to think what could have happened during the next period of wet weather.

Rant over
Old 11-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont take it!

Tyres should come from the same batch.
Which is why most good tyre shops have carefully racked stocks according to the batch codes.

You will almost certainly end up with a mismatch. The code, by the way, indicates that they were formed in a similar process and in the same mould with the same compound.

Insist upon a pair, which is the correct thing to do.

And, if they really know what they are doing they will align the dot on the tyre with the valve in the correct manner, this indicating that the heaviest part of the tyre is opposite the valve - hence reducing the amount of crappy lead they are about to stick to the rim!

They sound like cowboys to me, not dinging the rim is only a minor point here...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You can't get thicker than a f ckuwit bullshitter...

That's why they manage a tyre entre.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Nov 3 2007, 11:06 AM
Dont take it!

Insist upon a pair, which is the correct thing to do.
If its a brand new tyre that's just come from Bridgestone then another brand new tyre just delivered from Bridgestone will most likely come from the same batch.

When you order tyres you have no way of knowing if your tyres have come from two different batches anyway.

I'd accept the 2nd correct tyre they're sending up and be perfectly happy with the two now correct RE050 MZ's on the rear of the car.

Just of our interest. Which dot should they align opposite the valve? My last RE050's came with a blue dot, an orange dot and a red dot at various points around the tyre.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, perhaps we will see once this chap gets back to us. I am curious. I recall a chap at work with a WR1 who found peculiar track handling after a full change of rubber. It was due to a mixture of batches of rubber they fitted, across one axle the two tyres even came from different plants in different countries! Tyres were swapped for a new 'matching' pair and it returned the handling to normal.

Firstly, different manufacturers use different colours so you need to ask them but generally the yellow dot (IIRC) denotes the lightest part of the carcass and so should live opposite the valve stem. However a red dot indicates the high spot of the outer circumference andshould be aligned with the low spot of the rims, if this is marked or dimpled on the rims. Naturally this would take presidence over the yellow if all three marks exist, the yellow is just to help reduce balance weights applied by the fitter.

There is also a runout ring around the circumference under the tread. Often differing in colour to help with the aforementioned 'batch' picking at a warehouse.
The position of the ring indicates the runout, or tendency to pull to that side due to difference in construction. Ideally it would be central, but where offsets (runout) exists then the stripes should be symmetrical across the axis. Having runout rings on the offside of both fronts would therefore cause the car to pull to the right.

Hard to find this info on the net, and even harder to find a fitter that knows his stuff!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice m1bjr, I went back to the fitters and got both the rears changed again with the 2 that were delivered so hopefully these are a matched pair, I also had them fitted with the dots lined up. (never knew about this)
Plus a bit of discount, and when the fronts need doing this will be done at cost.

I will be watching closely next time.

Once again thanks for the info.