UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyres

Old 06-30-2002, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres

Took my car to Micheldever on Saturday for a new set of tyres.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:30 AM

Fired this off to Honda UK today

Dear Sirs,

Honda S2000

I wrote to you recently regarding damage to my wheels during tyre replacement at my local dealers. My dealer resolved the matter by replacing the wheels. The car now requires 4 new tyres and frankly I am worried that once again the wheels will be damaged. The problem appears to be the design of the wheel and that fitters cannot change the tyres without a high risk of damaging the spokes on the machinery they use.

My son has a S2000 also and has had the same experience with his dealer, last week they replaced a front wheel that they had damaged and them proceeded to damage a rear wheel that required a puncture repair.

Many postings regarding this problem are being aired on the SK2 forum page, the latest today
Old 07-01-2002, 06:41 AM

Nice letter Graham!

I think we should all club together and open our own S2000-only dealership, exclusively selling, servicing and repairing S2000s...

What do we all think??

Alex.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:42 AM

Thanks Graham. It is a very serious problem. Why do Honda recommend that wheels should not be re-lacquered?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:38 AM

good letter...

..also links in with my locking wheelnut debacle...am now sans 3 knuckles with 2 scratched alloys....couldn't get the wheels off with the OEM supplied equipment....and now it looks like an airgun will damage them too...

buggeration.

perhaps, Mr. Honda the true problem is with the design of the wheels and the suitability/quality of the materials used.....

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by muppet
[B]Thanks Graham.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:14 AM

Regarding the wheels been relaqured, I was advised by the service manager that they had a memo that sandblasting weakens the wheel but i am sure alloy refurbishers are jumping up and down at this point. Maybe a slight rub down and repaint if they haven't gouged the spokes too bad ?

My circumstances were that they had just replaced all 4 wheels under warranty for pitting and previous damage fitting tyres at another Honda garage, so feel strongly that the damaged wheels should be replaced as they where with new ones.

I know that all this moaning about damaged wheels will piss some people off and i know cars are for driving and i have got dents scratches on the bodywork etc like most, but i dont think this is been petty and really think having your Tyres changed is a lottery.

Oh no rear Tyres are getting low again
Old 07-01-2002, 11:32 AM

I don't think its unreasonable to expect your car to not incur any damage when it goes into a dealer and/or tyre fitter.

The fact that your car has some dents and scratches is neither here nor there. If the dealer mistook any minor damage as a sign that they were dealing with someone who didn't care about his car then they just made a costly mistake. If they can't repair the damage so that its undetectable (and according to the memo about not repairing wheels, this is the case) then they'll have to replace the wheels or offer compensation surely?

I've just bought a new wheel to get around having to look at the damage that was done by an incompetant local tyre fitter Lookers Honda Nottingham took it to ATS where they have a machine with all plastic parts that touch the wheel. i.e. no damage.

The wheel is obviously the same design as my MY02 wheel but is heavily lacquered, so much so that the "dimpled" inner side of each spoke is almost smooth to the touch, strange but true. So it appears a UK spec wheel has extra lacquer