UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyres

Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres

I just want to see if anyone else has had a problem with the life of these tyres.

I bought my S last April. (It's an 05 GT). The Dealer gave it an MOT but all four tyres were margional on life so I fitted a new set of Toyo TR-1s. MOT is due now and the rears are again on the wear bars after one year and about 4K miles!

The car has done no Track Days, and most of the milage has been on a Motorway. The fronts however, still look like new.

I have been very pleased with the grip levels but the wear rate has been awful on the rears.

Packman
Old 03-22-2009, 12:05 PM

TR1s are quite soft, but 4k is low! Are they evenly worn?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:57 PM

tyre pressures?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM

Motorway miles!!! there's your answer!!! you will need a harder tyre for that usage, bridgstone will serve you better, IMO the Toyos are great for the twisteys but not mileage!! just a thought but why would you use the S in that way? its a A road blaster really!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had a Geo check done? I know it get's banged on about here, but it really can make a difference to all areas of the car, including tyre wear. I have TR1's on the back at eh moment, and have about 2K on them, I'll give them a check, just in case
Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I've had T1s on the back over the winter (probably around 6k by the time they do get replaced they're going to need replacing shortly).

I've always found Bridgestones give a more compromised grip in the wet with a higher tendency to tramline and I'm really loathe to go back to Bridgestones (although with the wear rate of the Toyo tyres I might have to), do any other brands (Eagles?) give an improved wet road grip with a lower wear rate?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

To be honest, I've not noticed much difference in rear wear rate between the Bridgies and my GY F1 GSD3s. Never get much more than 6k out of them. Usually that includes one track day though.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM

MOT soon so new ones will be fitted before then.

We are going to the Nurburgring in the middle of May (First time) so I suspect that the new ones will be worn out on our return?

I have never been a beliver of mixing tyres (Front and Rear Axle) So I will just grin and bear it until I need all four tyres replaced then I will go for something harder.

Oh and the question on Motorway/A Road blasts. We tend to use the car for high days and Holidays and took it to Central France last Summer then to the Lakes in the Autumn So the car does a lot of Motorway miles to get to a destination then some nice twisty road driving once there. We even went to the Honda meet at Beaulieu earlier this month. Again mostly Motorway driving ffrom our Kent home.

Packman
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys doing with your tyres? Bridgestone OEM's 20k+, 3 weeks touring in Spain, a month touring in Switzerland and Italy (including the Stelvio Pass) and 2 track days. Will need relacing after Euromeet !!!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

You clearly don't go round corners.....

Quick Reply: Tyres