UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre wear revisited....

Old 01-26-2004, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre wear revisited....

Been down to my tyre place to get them to check the depth of my fronts. They are at 1.5mm on the i/s and both need replacing. The rest of the tyre(s) had 5mm in the middle and 4mm on the o/s. I can't believe how much my tyres have worn on the i/s. I check my pressures at least every 2 weeks??? Two new fronts have been ordered and will be fitted sometime this week. As its a co/car he had check the rears. He was laughing as he did it... when I ask why, he replies "oh they are down to 4mm, didn't I change them 4 months ago?!!!" errr yes, he did! I have done about 5k since they were changed, and I think I will get another 5k out of the 4mm? But goddamn this car can eat some tyres.

I calculate that I am going to go through 2 sets of tyres per year, and may even need a 3rd set of rears! I just don't think I could afford to run this car myself, and I am glad its leased. Is my tyre wear normal? I don't do very many motorway miles, but loads of stop/start urban and country. I think the lease company's tyre police will be after me soon!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:16 AM

What tires are you running? I'm assuming S02's...

If so, 10k miles on a set isn't that out of the ordinary. You should probably also get your alignment checked if you're getting uneven wear.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:22 AM

Inside front wear is quite normal.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:28 AM

10K is about par for the course for a set of rears in my experience - less than that if you drive it particularly hard or track it. I'm pretty sure StevenM managed to get through a set of rear F1s in 4,000 or 5,000 miles
Old 01-26-2004, 05:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Turner
I'm pretty sure StevenM managed to get through a set of rear F1s in 4,000 or 5,000 miles
Less than 4500miles out of my first set of rears and my second set had done ~4000miles when I removed the wheels. I could probably squeeze another few hundred miles out of them.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:36 AM

I've done about 9k miles on mine - the fronts are fine but the rears (SO2's) are getting to that jittery stage I hear people talking about when u hit the last 3 or 4 mm and the compound goes harder.

If I change the rears, can I have F1's on the rear and S)2's at the front? As I'd rather do it in stages as the pimpmobile gets serviced this week for
Old 01-26-2004, 05:40 AM

But goddamn this car can eat some tyres.
you are not wrong.....mine have lasted 8000miles, the fronts have worn more or less equally with the rears but all the mileage I do is 'recreational'...so I guess this is to be expected

The tyres are more or less shagged now....I am experiencing understeer on the road now for the first time....I am changing to Avon's
Old 01-26-2004, 05:42 AM

Chris, it's really not advisable to mix tyres front and back. If you're going to swap, you need to bite the bullet and do all four at once.

You could always keep the S02s and maybe use them if you ever track the car? Or, even better, acquire a second set of rims and mount them on there and then enquire on here about anyone flogging partially used rear S02s.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:45 AM

Well I have some money coming thru from an old aunt who "bought the farm" which looks like some of it is going to pay for a PRM (can't wait ) and a new set of bootsall round - so gonna get the F1s I reckon.

The back of my car is getting a little too twitchy for my liking just at the moment.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:14 AM

I hate the rears when they get down to <3mm. I last changed my rears at 9k and will probably do the same again when the car gets serviced. At 3mm the rear feels quite skittish, especially in the wet, its quite obvious that the compound is quite hard.

Oh well, I will just pont Interleasing to this thread, and tell them "at least I'm not changing every 4500 miles"

Quick Reply: Tyre wear revisited....