UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre speed ratings and the law

Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The "recommended" model Bridgestones for both 16" and 17" wheels are all listed in the FAQ, to save further confusion.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

May I also make a physics point? Just to confuse a few of you...

Earlier in this thread richmc said the speed ratings of the tyres are:
W = 168mph V = 149mph

Did you know: if your car is travelling at 168mph then the top of the tyre is going twice this speed (336mph) in a forward direction?

So the so called "Speed Ratings" are actually accelleration and decelleration tollerances.

Knowing this you will always spend more on tyres than any other part of your car. I have never bought cheap tyres.

Minvo.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbloke
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1344460038' post='21922821
The wrong tyres are truly awful!
I would contend that the so-called 'right' tyre, or any Bridgestone tyre for that matter, is awful. Only marginally better in terms of feel and feedback than taking them off and running on bare rims

That said, it does sound like the dealer (and I pressume B'pool Homda is a franchised Honda outlet) has stiffed the OP with the cheapest crap they could find - I bet they would have had any number of good reasons for a punter to buy Potenzas from them at some ridiculously inflated price if you went in for a service or MoT.

I've never heard of a franchised dealer fitting non-OEM parts before; is it common? It's like finding out they've fitted a Halfords oil filter during your service........

Anyway, I'd use the fact that the tyres don't meet Honda's own recommendations as the arguement for having the dealer replace them with something not so cheap and nasty. Stand firm and be a pain in the arse until they comply!
In this case Bridgestones are lightyears ahead of Nankangs and the good tyres (see the tyre thread) have their lovers and haters, bit marmite really, the only truth is budget tyres don't belong on a performance car.
I bet if you complained about a sticking caliper they would stiff you full Honder price rather than an eBay refurb. At the very least they should be using what Honda recomend regarding tyres, and don't let them fob you off with they don't make them any mor, they do.

Coldfuse said - If the tyres are legal i doubt they will give a monkeys tbh
As a secondhand car to be legal it must be sold in a safe state, not just with an MOT, if it's shown not to be up to it's complience certification then it's safety has been compromised and therefore not legal.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minvo
May I also make a physics point? Just to confuse a few of you...

Earlier in this thread richmc said the speed ratings of the tyres are:
W = 168mph V = 149mph

Did you know: if your car is travelling at 168mph then the top of the tyre is going twice this speed (336mph) in a forward direction?

So the so called "Speed Ratings" are actually accelleration and decelleration tollerances.

Knowing this you will always spend more on tyres than any other part of your car. I have never bought cheap tyres.

Minvo.

Do explain
Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Do explain
OK.
So to start...

Question: How fast it a car tyre going at the point it touches the ground?
Answer: ZERO MPH (it is not moving - otherwise you would be skidding!)

Ever wondered why you get a wet back when cycling through a puddle?
Reason: The top of the tyre/wheel is going faster than you and throws the water onto your back as the centrifugal force puches it outwards)

So to conclude...
The tyre is not moving at the bottom. It is however doing double speed at the top.
Therefore the tyre has to accelerate from zero to double your speed on the way up... and
Decelerate from double speed to zero on the way back down to the ground.

This acceleration and deceleration causes a lot of pulling and pushing on the tyre.
Add in the centrifugal forces involved in the spinning of the wheel then they do take some punishment.

Hope this helps you to decide not to buy budget tyres.

Minvo

So if you get this then answer me another question.
If a car is travelling at half the speed of sound then are it's wheels breaking the sound barrier?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1344513805' post='21924113
Do explain
If a car is travelling at half the speed of sound then are it's wheels breaking the sound barrier?
I'd ask Glen to answer this question once he has his monster up and running - strap a go pro to the side of the car and get some video evidence
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1344513805' post='21924113
Do explain
OK.
So to start...

Question: How fast it a car tyre going at the point it touches the ground?
Answer: ZERO MPH (it is not moving - otherwise you would be skidding!)

Ever wondered why you get a wet back when cycling through a puddle?
Reason: The top of the tyre/wheel is going faster than you and throws the water onto your back as the centrifugal force puches it outwards)

So to conclude...
The tyre is not moving at the bottom. It is however doing double speed at the top.
Therefore the tyre has to accelerate from zero to double your speed on the way up... and
Decelerate from double speed to zero on the way back down to the ground.

This acceleration and deceleration causes a lot of pulling and pushing on the tyre.
Add in the centrifugal forces involved in the spinning of the wheel then they do take some punishment.

Hope this helps

Minvo

So if you get this then answer me another question.
Did you get all of this from the Looneytoon book of physics?!

Some of what you said is sort of correct, but for the wrong reasons
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Actually the tyre is not moving at the top or the bottom, it's the car thas moving. To get your head round that one think of standing on a tank track whilst the tank is moving, you dont move relative to the track at the bottom till you fall off the end, tank tracks go up and down.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway...

I put a call in to HUK in the end. Lets see what happens there!!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I work in a Honda Dealer and forgetting the science behind the actual tyre speed and any "law" which may apply that is bloody piss poor customer service, they probably only saved about £50 each tyre, I would speak to the manager and demand they change the tyres, bet they do.
Good Luck.

Cheers.....Tony..

Quick Reply: Tyre speed ratings and the law