UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre speed ratings and the law

Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre speed ratings and the law

Evening folks, I wonder if you can help me...

I've just picked my new MY05 S2000 up from Blackpool Honda and I absolutely love it.

I've just spent all afternoon / evening giving the thing a damn good cleaning and just noticed that the tyre speed ratings for the rear wheels don't match the speed ratings listed on the FAQ. The rating on my tyres is 91V, whereas the FAQ states it should be 91W.

Now I know I should have checked more thoroughly when I bought the car, but the dealership had put new tyres on the car recently and gave it a clean MOT so I thought they had done everything ok.

Does anyone know where I stand re going back to the dealership? Is there a law regarding tyre speed ratings? Can I go back to the dealership and make them replace my tyres with adequate ones?

Most importantly, is my insurance still valid!!??

Cheers
Andy
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

See here for some useful info: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/971313-ad08s-on-16s/
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

W = 168mph V = 149mph, are you contemplating either of these speeds? Seriously I would be worried about the brand and sutability of the tyres. Honda spcify Bridgestone Potenza RE050MZ, the MZ is a spcific tyre for the S2000 (ridgid side wall), if they hava A instead of MZ then they are the porche tyre. There are other tyres that are fine, do a search for tyre threads. The wrong tyres are truly awful!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Just found this on DVLA

TYRE SPEED SYMBOLS
For MOT requirements in this country, it is not necessary to fit a tyre with a speed rating to match the original vehicle fitment or the maximum speed of the vehicle. Tyres must be suitable for the purpose for which the vehicle is being used. See our Speed Symbol Chart for detailed data.

Insurance companies might say that a vehicle should be fitted with the tyres having the speed rating recommended by the car manufacturer: but even if you fit Z-rated tyres for speeds over 150 mph they will not insure you if you drive in excess of 70 mph in this country!

The vehicle manufacturer has to recommend a tyre with a rating to match the maximum speed of the car because when it leaves the factory he does not know exactly where the car is going or for what purpose it might be used. You might want to use the car in a country where higher speed limits apply than the UK or take it to a race track at the weekend.

The major tyre manufacturers publish charts showing speed ratings.

The speed rating means the tyre can be run at it's maximum speed AND at it's maximum load for an extended period without overheating.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Thanks Groova.

Rich - no I'm not contemplating those speeds (or even coming close to them, to be honest!!), but isn't this one of legality? The recommended tyre is a W rating, but the dealer has supplied a V, and therefore lesser rating than Honda actually recommend.

They're not Bridgestones - some dogsh1t Nankang tyres.

Right, I think I'll be calling the dealership in the morning!!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Nankang!!!!! are they the ditch finders or the widow makers!

http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyres/Nankang_tyres.html

Even the review almost calls them cheap boy racer tyres (bought me rotaz can't aford the tyres), and the wet rating is lets say not exactly suited to the S and its loose back end. The garage is obliged by law not to sell you a car in a dangerous condition.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM

If the tyres are legal i doubt they will give a monkeys tbh
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
The wrong tyres are truly awful!
I would contend that the so-called 'right' tyre, or any Bridgestone tyre for that matter, is awful. Only marginally better in terms of feel and feedback than taking them off and running on bare rims

That said, it does sound like the dealer (and I pressume B'pool Homda is a franchised Honda outlet) has stiffed the OP with the cheapest crap they could find - I bet they would have had any number of good reasons for a punter to buy Potenzas from them at some ridiculously inflated price if you went in for a service or MoT.

I've never heard of a franchised dealer fitting non-OEM parts before; is it common? It's like finding out they've fitted a Halfords oil filter during your service........

Anyway, I'd use the fact that the tyres don't meet Honda's own recommendations as the arguement for having the dealer replace them with something not so cheap and nasty. Stand firm and be a pain in the arse until they comply!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
W = 168mph V = 149mph, are you contemplating either of these speeds? Seriously I would be worried about the brand and sutability of the tyres. Honda spcify Bridgestone Potenza RE050MZ, the MZ is a spcific tyre for the S2000 (ridgid side wall), if they hava A instead of MZ then they are the porche tyre. There are other tyres that are fine, do a search for tyre threads. The wrong tyres are truly awful!
Learn something new every day! cheers for that mate I has porsche uns on mine by the looks of things.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all A's are porsche tyres though, it's all in the letters behind it.

I had A-TZ ones which were meant for some Merc I think, weren't too bad either.

Quick Reply: Tyre speed ratings and the law