UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre Pressures And Road Tests

Old 07-15-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre Pressures And Road Tests

I had to back mine out of the garage last night and I never ever put it back in 'wet' i.e without getting the exhaust system hot to dry it out

The car was not handling as well as I remembered and on returning home found a difference of 1psi across the rear axle

It reminded me just how sensitive these cars are to tyre pressures and got me thinking just how careful are the Magazines to ensure that all the pressures are set correctly and remain correct when they are testing cars

If I'd been new to the S2000 last night I'd be thinking the car didn't handle well at all!!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:51 AM

Don't really see how you can ever be 100% accurate on tyre pressures as all the gauges I've seen for sale are only accurate to half a p.s.i.so you could easily be 1 p.s.i. out across the axle.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Jul 16 2004, 07:56 AM
I had to back mine out of the garage last night and I never ever put it back in 'wet' i.e without getting the exhaust system hot to dry it out

The car was not handling as well as I remembered and on returning home found a difference of 1psi across the rear axle

It reminded me just how sensitive these cars are to tyre pressures and got me thinking just how careful are the Magazines to ensure that all the pressures are set correctly and remain correct when they are testing cars

If I'd been new to the S2000 last night I'd be thinking the car didn't handle well at all!!!!
1 p.s.i eh !!! careful you may get uneven tyre tread wear too
Old 07-16-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gauge did you use (something from helfords?) , what is its resolution (1 psig?) When was it calibrated (never?)

IMHO No way you have the kit to know there was actually 1 psi difference.

If you did and there was I doubt it would make a difference.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Jul 16 2004, 08:56 AM
I obviously don't deserve my car!
No way would I ever notice 1psi difference on the rears.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:50 AM

From my experience the pressures vary according to how hot the tyres are, usually they read higher (~1 psi) when warm, this is from using the same gauge before and after a run.

I wouldn't worry too much about 1 psi difference, I very much doubt you would notice that. I think the temperature of the rubber makes a much bigger difference.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:09 AM

the difference in handling as a consequence of unequal tyre pressures across the rear axle is that the car 'steers' itself with out any input from the steering wheel. I believe it's the differential getting a false picture of what the wheels and tyres are doing

This manifests itself to a lesser or greater degree depending on the difference between the two tyres

It's extremely obvious if you have a situation where one tyre is suffering from a slow puncture and is say running as low as 18psi.......I have had this happen and the effect is extreme

Some may say I am talking bull as far as being able to tell when there is a difference in pressure across the rear axle and how it can effect handling.....this is people's perogative of course. The fact is I can feel it and therefore I am using my experience to help others on the board

'course it might be that mine is an '01 car......
Old 07-16-2004, 06:30 AM

with Zero. I test drove some absolute dogs when I was looking for mine and I'm sure tyre pressures were to blame.

I've often thought that the car is so sensitive to geo and pressure that it could easily explain why some mags love the S and some hate it
Old 07-16-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair comment but still not sure an indicated pressure difference of 1 psi is going to make a difference?
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mikerich,Jul 16 2004, 01:42 PM
I obviously don't deserve my car!
No way would I ever notice 1psi difference on the rears.
If you look both tyres square on and stare into their treads, you can normally tell by sight only that the pressure is uneven.

Actually, I agree that unequal pressure across the same axle is not good. Add to this the fluctuation in gauge readings between wheel 1 and 2 and who the hell knows what the pressure really is...???

It just so happens that I have a little device designed to prevent this kind of thing, and as all 4 tyres on the S are the same pressure, at least I know all 4 of mine are 'balanced'.

Quick Reply: Tyre Pressures And Road Tests