UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre pressure - 2 PSI - Major difference

Old 11-30-2001, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre pressure - 2 PSI - Major difference

For the first time in over a year I decided I had better check my spare tyre pressure, and whilst I was at it check the rest. The spare was down to 40PSI, and I had been running the rest at 30PSI for a few months, and been quite happy with it.

I have just put them back up to the recommended 32PSI again and blimey, what a difference, much better feel to the car, lots more confidence going into corners and just general driving, particularly useful with the current conditions.

Definitely gonna keep them at 32PSI from now on.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wwell I've said it before I know, but if Honda and Bridgestone recommend 32 all round, why should I think I know any better?

Agree with you Ross.... 2lb makes a big difference especially in the Winter.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]Wwell I've said it before I know, but if Honda and Bridgestone recommend
Old 11-30-2001, 12:55 PM

I originally dropped to try and gain more feel of the rear before losing it, but having gone bavk to 32PSI I feel that I can tell more of what the car is doing now than before.
But I am talking about warm tyres and only a damp road, having come close and read so many others bad experiences I treat this car with a lot of respect until the tyres are warm and even more so in the cold/wet.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:21 PM

I originally dropped to try and gain more feel of the rear before losing it, but having gone bavk to 32PSI I feel that I can tell more of what the car is doing now than before.
But I am talking about warm tyres and only a damp road, having come close and read so many others bad experiences I treat this car with a lot of respect until the tyres are warm and even more so in the cold/wet.

Thats exactly what i thought, it does FEEL a lot safer in the wet i think, the corners feel grippier - but there is less give in the rubber, so in the wet a sharp turn can produce uneccesary rear end tail-out even at low speeds.

In my case, i was driving home from the station after work - the same 10 minute journey i do every day. I am always so careful knowing the tyres have sat there all day, so consequently i can never push it (5/6/VTEC+) on a weekday cos the journey is too short. I take the corner at the same speed i would everyday (it was chucking it too) and bang......the ends out one way and i'm heading towards the 'non-existent' central reservation (i.e. grass!), on trying to gain traction and steering, the car spins and its all over........$$$$$$$$

I changed my pressures to 32 all round three days before that ..........

(I have a few other theories on the spin too - concerning a possible puncture - see the wheels thread!!)

I am inclined to say 32 front, 31 rear, just to give that bit more give.

But hey...........as CT says.......who are we to argue?

Dya think honda tested a 10,000 mile S02 in the wet and come up with 32?? - doubt it......
Old 11-30-2001, 01:26 PM

I strongly agree with 32 all round.
Temperature also has a huge difference on performance.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
I strongly agree with 32 all round.
Surely though, 32 all round, ALL YEAR doean't make sense - conditions should be taken into consideration.

Does changing conditions not mean different pressures may be required??
Old 11-30-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by stevenleith

Surely though, 32 all round, ALL YEAR doean't make sense - conditions should be taken into consideration.

Does changing conditions not mean different pressures may be required??

It depends on the conditions.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

Temperature also has a huge difference on performance.
So I hear
Old 11-30-2001, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by stevenleith
But hey...........as CT says.......who are we to argue?

Dya think honda tested a 10,000 mile S02 in the wet and come up with 32?? - doubt it......
Oh C**** I'm in trouble again - promise I will try not to post again.
However.
When I first came down I worked for Ford - aeons ago - I wd not think that Honda are any less thorough today.
In 1.25-1.5 mio miles I have had a few prangs - apart from the 3 when sitting at red traffic lights and watching the cars approaching before they rear-ended me - I have always thought that it was driver error on my part.
Why not try to learn something from this incident?
For example - 'came round the corner at the same speed I do every day(it was chucking it too)'
I went to the Lotus plant last year - went round the track with some of their 'handling engineers' - decided I knew s** all about driving.
Not trying to get at you - just think objectivity is a great thing.
Did you do something wrong? Was there anything you could have done better? why do you an accountant know more about engineering than an engineer?
Dunno.

Quick Reply: Tyre pressure - 2 PSI - Major difference