UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre dilemma - multiple changes

Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1309446649' post='20734743
Toe: +0°20'
Total or either side?

I have 10' either side, and going round Church I thought your car was more stable at the rear than mine. That may well be tyres (not driver skill obviously), not necessarily geo, but I felt I could have been much faster round that fast corner with more rear toe, although I may well have been slower everywhere else. I guess Church is not too disimilar to Blanchimont, just 30mph slower.

Goodluck on overtaking MB, he got A048, Js racing spec Nitron and full undertray diffuser. Gonna be hard to catch him
Only if he learns what the right hand pedal is for.
Either side, so 40' total - the car felt quite unstable to me compared to last time I was at Anglesey, though I probably had more rear tread that time. I also had 30' a side back then.

I think I'll take Dixon's advice and just add more camber
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simon - are you around next Thursday in your neck of the woods? I only ask as Dixon is setting my motor up next week and I'll be heading past your way late morning/lunch time'ish. I currently have Kumho's on which aren't bad although I feel the Bridgeys increased ridgidity will sway you away from them. It will at least cross one other tyre off the list or indeed add it on!!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Thanks Hammy,

I'll be at work then, so no can do, unless you're coming to the Herts meet in the evening. IIRC you're on 17s though aren't you?

I think the R888s will do the job for now
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Ah yes I am. Canny dooo the evening as I'm shooting up T'North on Thursday.
Let us know what you think of the R888s though as I know you like the sidewalls to be stiffer and I'm already looking for ideas on the next set - hehe
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

If your back end is not stable coming out of the corner try to put 2 click softer on your damper rebounce side at the rear. You guys all have coilover, it doesn't matter even if you have the best geo on earth but didn't setup the damper correctly, if you rear have alot more damping than the front then no matter what the back wont feel stable, same as the front damper, if it's alot stiffer than the rear then no matter what the car will first understeer massively and suddenly turn into oversteer. Arb, tyres, bushes, braces...etc they are all very important. Try softer arb at the rear for example if you want more rear grip, or go for wider tyres, or change to spherical bearing to stop the rear toe moving around, or use softer rear springs rate, or shift more weight to the rear when you do corner weight... Etc A good geo setup is just a good basic to start with, you guys all have different setup, so even both car have exactly the same geo setup, it will handle completely different, so no point in comparing each other geo setup because it doesn't really mean much unless you both have exactly same car and exact same modification.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Dixon Motorsports
If your back end is not stable coming out of the corner try to put 2 click softer on your damper rebounce side at the rear. You guys all have coilover, it doesn't matter even if you have the best geo on earth but didn't setup the damper correctly, if you rear have alot more damping than the front then no matter what the back wont feel stable, same as the front damper, if it's alot stiffer than the rear then no matter what the car will first understeer massively and suddenly turn into oversteer. Arb, tyres, bushes, braces...etc they are all very important. Try softer arb at the rear for example if you want more rear grip, or go for wider tyres, or change to spherical bearing to stop the rear toe moving around, or use softer rear springs rate, or shift more weight to the rear when you do corner weight... Etc A good geo setup is just a good basic to start with, you guys all have different setup, so even both car have exactly the same geo setup, it will handle completely different, so no point in comparing each other geo setup because it doesn't really mean much unless you both have exactly same car and exact same modification.
Dixon, that's very interesting - I originally had the rear dampers set to 2 on the Bilsteins and the fronts set to 2 as well, but it felt much more stable with the rears set to 1 (stiffer). It's more mid-corner on a fast sweeper (Church at Anglesey).

I guess it's always a compromise - better on the faster corners means a bit worse on the slow corners, or it may affect balance under braking etc etc

I guess you've seen the vid - I'm trying to keep up with MB

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdo5Np_FM5U[/media]
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Yes is all about finding the right balance and which part of the track is more important to defence position, alot of time the 2 corners before the long straight are the most important, we will set the car up to focus to get those corners perfect for the best straight line speed to defence position or gain position to get close on the straight but also not losing to the other corners too much as well, is the balance you have to find. But for just track day, just try to find one or 2 corners you wanna focus on and set it up right. If you get those right, the others normally won't be too bad either.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM

When you said you had 2 - 2 to start with and feel unstable, dose it feels like under into the corner then suddenly gets grip and then start to get over?

Just sounds like the front were running stiffer than the back to me, when the rear set stiffer the front should have less under and the rear just follow though into the corner without any sudden balance changes so therefore feel more stable, is that how you felt? All this could happened in just a spilt sec.

Remember front 2 doesn't mean is having equal rate like rear 2, rear 2 might be set at complete different valving.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always run on track with the rear one click stiffer than the front. My understanding is that tends towards entry oversteer, and exit understeer, which translates to better turn in, and better rear grip and traction whilst putting the power down on exit. Always works for me.

The problem I had with Church (which is a long fast right hander) was in the middle of the corner, not the entry or the exit. Several times I had to make a big correction whilst the rear tried to overtake the front at 80 mph in the middle of the corner, and again my understanding (which may well be wrong) is that mid corner is nothing to do with the dampers. I had the same damper setup last time I was at Angelsey, but with RE050s and more rear toe. So it's either tyres or geo, and I don't believe it's tyres.

OTOH I used to suffer understeer on the hairpins (going in too fast I'm sure), and had none at all this time.

I think I'll go for a compromise setup next time and try something like 15' of rear toe. Having less toe does make the rear very controllable.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixon Motorsports
Exactly what I was thinking After I spoke to you an tuesday about my rear oversteer I might try running 2 clicks softer on the rear.I will let you know....Mmmm possibly not if it doesnt work

Quick Reply: Tyre dilemma - multiple changes